Iss War Ko Kya Naam Doon?(4)

"Arnav. Arnav, stop," Khushi ran behind him, with a heavy bag on her back leaving Aman, Payal, and the other friend of Aman behind. Khushi's voice echoed through the open ground, her breaths ragged as she chased after him. The weight of the heavy bag on her back tugged at her spine, but she pushed forward, fueled by determination.

"Arrey, Khushi, stop," Payal screamed at her sister jogging towards her, her breaths ragged as she chased after her sister.

Khushi, even if she heard her sister, ignored her and ran behind Arnav. Her polished shoes shined in the sunlight and echoed the hurried steps.

Aman was following these three with his other friend, not really in any hurry to catch on any of them. Like Khushi and Payal were.

"This girl wouldn't leave me," he muttered, his breath escaping in a frustrated huff. He increased his pace. His strides were long and purposeful. In a desperate bid to escape from the tiny girl following him.

But he was unsuccessful, as Khushi had almost run towards him and clutched his bag, halting him at the place, panting hard. She wondered how he could move so swiftly as if the world hadn't just crumbled around them.

Arnav's patience was wearing thin as Khushi clung to his bag, her breaths ragged.

He turned around and loosened her hold on his bag and muttered under his breath, "Leave my bag, you, Ms. Tree Climber."

But Khushi wasn't one to back down easily. She released his bag and instead latched onto his hand. "Did you forget about my promise? Huh?" she glared at him.

Arnav raised an eyebrow, feigning nonchalance. "What promise? Which promise?" he inquired, his voice laced with irritation.

Khushi's eyes widened dramatically as she exclaimed, "Hawww! How can you forget my promise?" Ignoring the tone of his voice, she focused on the subject at hand.

"Look, I am getting late for class-" he muttered, his glare fixed on her. He yearned to escape from the persistent tiny girl at any cost. But before he could continue, Khushi interjected, her words slicing through his urgency.

"But classes will start only after assembly and assembly has 30 more minutes to go," she retorted, her tiny eyes gazing at the the clock with a mix of confusion and determination. The oversized clock that adorned their school wall, confirmed that there were still 30 precious minutes until the bell would signal the start of the assembly.

"I remember that, okay? You don't need to tell me that," Arnav clenched his jaw. He was only trying to escape from her, and even if he told her to her face, she wasn't leaving — running behind him like a persistent shadow.

"Haww! You only said you are getting late to classes, and now you are denying it?" Her hazel eyes gazed at him in wonder, pondering why he was contradicting himself. Then, it dawned on her as her eyes lit up like a star — he had the same problem as she did.

She didn't stay behind in letting him know the same.

"I know what your problem is," she declared, her voice confident and matter-of-fact. "This short-term memory loss will be fine soon. Just eat three or four soaked almonds every morning before breakfast. It increases our memory strength. My mumma, papa, and teachers told me that. I eat them every day. You should start eating them too. Then you won't forget anything. " She finished giving a class on how to improve memory.

Aman, who had been following them, struggled to contain his laughter. Arnav shot him an annoyed look. Did this tiny girl just imply his memory was weak?

"In fact, you know what," she grinned getting a brilliant idea, "I will tell this to Ratna Aunty. She will make you eat them. You'll be fine like me soon." She planted her hands on her waist, boasting herself, lifting her face to his level as if imparting the wisdom of generations.