Iss War Ko Kya Naam Doon?(10)

Sheesh Mahal,

As the days slowly turned into weeks, the once cheerful home felt the weight of silence and unspoken words. Samaya had gone to her parent's home taking Daruk along with her, not wanting to stay for a second more here. Avinash found solace in the hours spent at work, hoping each day to mend the bridge between him and Samaya. His efforts, however, seemed like whispers lost in the wind, as Samaya, wounded and betrayed, found strength in the solace of her childhood home, surrounded by the love and support of her parents.

Leaving Dhruv in the care of Ratna.

He shouldn't miss his classes when he already did because of their visit to his grandparent's place.

In her absence, the care of young Dhruv fell upon Ratna's capable shoulders. With a nod of understanding and a promise unspoken, Ratna became the guardian of Dhruv other than being his Badi Maa, her assurances a gentle balm to Samaya's troubled form.

Subadhra Mallik was away on a factory inspection. She was due to return in two days, her thoughts already on the tasks that awaited her.

"Understood, Ma-ji," Ratna acknowledged Subadhra's instructions with a nod, her voice steady and assured. "The arrangements will be taken care of," she affirmed, her response echoing the resolve to ensure that everything would be in place upon Subadhra's return.

Subadhra's voice echoed in her cottage room as she inquired over the phone about her younger daughter-in-law. "What about Samaya? Did she say when will she come back?" She asked the same question she had been asking. The sternness in her voice was palpable, even as it carried a hint of frustration.

"She isn't sure, Ma-ji," came Ratna's gentle reply, her words a soft cushion for the uncertainty that lay ahead.

Subadhra's frustration bubbled to the surface, her words sharp as knives. "If it goes on like this, Mallik's reputation will go downhill." She paced her cottage room, each step a testament to her growing anger. Memories of accusations and disrespect from Samaya's father flashed in her mind, fueling her ire.

Yet, Ratna's voice was like a balm, understanding and empathetic of Samaya. "Samaya might need more time, Ma-ji," she offered, her tone full of understanding.

But Subadhra was not to be swayed. "I have work, I need to go. Just make arrangements for what I said." The finality in her voice was clear as she ended the call, leaving Ratna with a sigh and a silent phone.

Sheesh Mahal now whispered with the secrets of a storm that had passed, leaving in its wake a silence that spoke volumes. The children, blissfully unaware, continued to find solace in their school, games, and laughter, their joy a stark contrast to the bitter reality that enveloped the adults.

Except for Anjali, who was still reeling from the shock of her uncle's actions. Her young heart was burdened by a truth too heavy to bear, and she found herself grappling with the reality of her uncle's betrayal. In the quiet corners of her mind, she sent forth silent prayers, hoping for a resolution to the turmoil that had besieged her family.

As the days passed, Anjali became the keeper of secrets, shielding her brother and little cousins from the tempest that had shaken the very foundations of their home. With each passing day, she wished for peace to return, for the storm clouds to part, and for the sun to shine upon them once more, bringing with it a promise of healing and happier days.

The only things that brought her solace were her brothers and her new little friends, Khushi and Payal. Khushi, especially, had become a daily source of entertainment, often engaging in fierce battles with Anjali's brother, Arnav.

A day later,

That morning, as they all sat together after playing on one Sunday, Arnav turned to Anjali with a curious expression. "Di, what do you think Khushi is doing in our kitchen?" he asked, his eyes sparkling with suspicion.