Part II Chapter XII

GRAYSON

GRAYSON

7 Months Ago

"Sir, you have to pay for that hairband," the shopkeeper says, his face calm with a hint of a smile.

Turning around, I catch my niece clutching the red horned hairband, her smile timid.

"Lola, put it back," I say sternly, instructing her to return the hairband. It was tacky, to say the least. Besides, I can't afford to waste time, or I'd lose track of that darn businessman who flew to another holiday destination as soon as he returned to New York. Following him personally is becoming a bothersome task, yet he is crucial, the most important of those under surveillance by my subordinates. To catch Dark Clover, this is the only way.

"No," Lola pouts, hiding the hairband behind her. As I reach to retrieve it from her grasp, she steps back, weaves her free arm through my wrists in an over/under formation. I stop to observe what she's doing. She then rotates her captured wrist toward my thumb and uses her strength, which is negligible compared to mine, to pull both hands from my grasp. I chuckle, and before she can protest, I'm free from her grasp within a second, the hairband in my hand. She lets out a frustrated cry, and I chuckle again, both amused and proud of her attempt.

I hadn't cared about having a niece until last week when I found a child on my doorstep. She bore a striking resemblance to my brother-in-law, our family's hereditary pale grey eyes, and possessed a steely resolve. Her cheeks, a blend of pink and plum, suggested she was on the verge of tears, yet her pride held them back. When questioned, she had handed me a note saying:

We fought. He's returning to Italy. He might try to kidnap her. Keep her safe. Yours, Reina.

My sister, her mother, is a piece of work. And my brother-in-law? Well, he's-

Wait, back to the task at hand.

Despite being lost in thought, I remained acutely aware of Rodrigo Rodriguez's whereabouts. Watching him board the Ferris wheel, I internally recoil. Not this again.

We stand five people back from Rodrigo, behind two couples likely on a double date, judging by their familiarity with each other, and a woman. My gaze lingers on her a moment too long. Her jet-black hair, styled in a half-ponytail, frames ice-blue eyes. Her beauty is the kind that often came under a surgeon's knife. Regardless, she exudes an aura that captivates you, a poise that can make you feel insecure, and a scent that weakens your knees. As she moves, her hair sway rhythmically, as if time itself has slowed-or has it?

"Sir, will you be sharing then?" the Ferris wheel attendant inquire, snapping me back to reality. Our turn has arrived. I knew joining the ride was unlikely if the friend group ahead chose to split into separate compartments, which they have. Now, I face a choice: share the ride with the lady or step aside. The latter is inconvenient, but sharing might distract me from monitoring Rodrigo. I'm about to decline before I'm interrupted.

"We will," my niece declares, bouncing excitedly as she winks at me.

What?

She tells me to bring my ear closer. As I bend down, she whispers, "I saw you eyeing that lady. I'm aiding you, so play along. And don't even think of acting cute, or I'll won't message my dad to dissuade him from kidnapping me, and I'll won't return to Syldavia." She pinches my ear, a habit likely picked up from my sister. I start to protest but her glare silences me. Sighing, I turn to the impatient, and likely annoyed, attendant and say, "Okay, we can share if the lady doesn't mind?" Hoping to avoid the situation, but the attendant promptly ushers me inside, stating, "I've already asked her, Sir."

Damn it!

As the Ferris wheel begins its rotation, I notice the ice cream cone in Lola's hand, identical to the one the lady holds. I question Lola, "When did you get an ice cream?"

She rolls her eyes, settling next to the lady, and retorts, "She bought it for me."

"Lola..." I glare at my niece, who raises her hands in mock surrender, saying, "I'm kidding, duh. I bought it while you were looking somewhere."

My attention briefly returns to the lady, meeting her gaze which is already on me, before shifting back to Lola, "And the money?"

"Yours. Well, stolen from your pocket," Lola confesses, savoring her ice cream. The lady lets out a chuckle, a throaty, elegant laugh that captivated me. And oh lord, if it was just a laugh. It is like the most beautiful song I've ever heard. It's a laugh that speaks volumes without words, enchanting me on the spot. And oh, if I don't desire to drink it, to savor it in my mouth. Directly from those lips painted baby pink, complementing her pale face.

My reverie is broken by Lola, who hands her ice cream to the lady and presses her palms against the window, absorbed in the sunset's beauty.

Yet, the view pales in comparison to the woman before me.

I notice strands of hair falling across the lady's face, which she attempts to blow away, hindered by the ice cream cones.
And just like any man, I help her.

Like any insane man who has fallen at first sight.

I gently tuck her hair behind her ear, earning a full blush. If only I could kiss those rosy cheeks and lips, I'd feel like fortune's favorite.

"Your name?" I inquire, my voice unexpectedly husky and hoarse. She blinks, then tilts her head slightly.
"I mean, may I know your name?"

She contemplates for a minute, as I catch Lola showing me her right thumb with a wide smile from the corner of my eye. The lady then replies with a cryptic smile, "Usted será el mía."

She speaks in a language she assumes I don't understand. I lean back, feigning ignorance, "Oh, I guess you don't understand English-"

"I do understand English," she interjects, her voice as rich and alluring as her laughter.

"So, what did you say?" I probe.

"My name is Mia," she declares, a smirk playing on her lips.

She said that I'll be hers. This time, I smirk in return.

Mine.

Meow.. 👀
We are finally starting with what initially happened, which led to the four months and after that. Yeahhhh!!!! 🎉

Please like and comment. I appreciate your feedback and support. I'll be posting new chapters spontaneously, so stay tuned.

Love ya'll.