Chapter 5 • The Third Summer

Maria:

No. This can't be happening. This can't be fucking real. Not now. I'm not ready for this.

I stare at the pregnancy test in disbelief. It's not the first one I've taken either. Over the last two weeks I've taken thirteen different tests each giving me the same result; positive.

Don't get me wrong, I want a family. So does Enzo. But that was always a long term goal. Not something to happen right now, just a month after I've turned twenty. We're too young for this.

It's entirely unexpected and to be honest, I'm not sure it's what I want. Other women are more than welcome to make their own choices in my opinion. But I don't believe in abortions. Not for myself.

I haven't told him. I haven't told anyone. I don't know what kind of reaction I should expect. I know that Enzo would never in a million years lay his hands on me. But that doesn't mean I want to be on the receiving end of his temper.

I was so hesitant in marrying him. Worried that he'd regret it and toss me onto the streets with a broken heart and empty bank account. But that's not the case.

He works a lot. Often spending a few days cooped up in his office. I don't push him, though. And I most certainly don't ask questions.

He's a busy man in a dangerous profession. It's not my place to intervene. But he always makes time for me.

Whether it's breakfast together in the family room or walking around the gardens at night. He always makes sure that there's time left in his day for me.

He's a fascinating person. There's so much hidden beneath the cold exterior he puts out. So much that makes him make more sense.

Like how he's an orphan, just like me. Or how he was raised by his cold-blooded, killer brothers. How he plans on taking control of the entire empire his family has built. How he excelled in school but was always getting in trouble. How, above all else, family is the most important thing in his life. And somewhere along the line, he decided that I'm family too.

"Maria, amore!" Enzo's voice cuts through my thoughts like a knife.

I don't think I can keep hiding this from him. It's not right. He's the father of this baby and whether I like it or not, there's no denying the truth.

I hesitantly open the bathroom door. Enzo strides into our bedroom carrying a massive bouquet of roses. He smiles as he approaches and my heart skips over itself.

"How was your training?" I ask, joining him in our room.

"Fucking great," he kisses my cheek. "Here."

I take the flowers from him with a light laugh, "you're in a good mood."

"You always make my day better," his hands claim my hips. "You know that, amore."

"I need you to keep that positivity going," I reply. He quirks a brow.

"I'm pregnant."

"What?" he takes a step back.

Fuck. I knew he wouldn't want this, not now at least. We've been so careful, too.

"I'm about six weeks along," I add.

"You're pregnant?" he repeats. I nod.

"Sei incinta!" Enzo exclaims.
(You're pregnant!)

He snatches the flowers from my hands and tosses them aside. He pulls me into a tight hug, lifting me off the ground and spinning us. I can't help but laugh. When he puts me back on my feet, he cups my face with both hands.