Chapter 9 • The Fifth Summer

Maria:

I drop to my back, breathing heavy. Enzo does the same, our limbs tangled in the sheets. He lazily wraps his arm around my shoulders and pulls me closer. I rest my head on his bare chest, tilting my face to look at him.

"I didn't know-" he cuts himself off, shaking his head. "dove diavolo hai imparato quella mossa?"
(Where the hell did you learn that move?)

I laugh lightly, "you know those books I'm always reading?"

"The cheesy romance ones?" he scoffs, lazily running his fingers through my hair.

I nod, "there's a little more to them than that."

He smiles, "you should give me one to borrow."

I laugh before kissing his cheek. I try to get up but he keeps me firmly held to his chest. I glance at the clock on his bedside table. It's nearly time to go wake Elle.

"Rimani," Enzo practically begs. "Just a few more minutes."
(Stay)

"Or," I pepper kisses up his neck. "You can ditch work and come swimming today."

"You know I can't do that," he immediately turns serious.

"Please," I continue to trail my lips across his jaw. "What could possibly be that important? It's not like we're at war."

Enzo frowns, "devo lavorare."
(I have to work.)

"Just one day," I offer my best puppy dog eyes. I trail my hand up his chest, coming to a rest on his cheek.

He takes a deep breath, "fine. Only because you asked so nicely."

I smile brightly at him. He shakes his head, grinning, before kissing my forehead. I clamor out of bed and straight into the closet. I quickly throw on a bikini and one of his shirts as a coverup.

Enzo doesn't usually give in to this kind of demand. That's not to say that he ignores or neglects me in any way; trust me he doesn't. But pulling him away from work for an entire day is a true accomplishment. He works hard and deserves a break.

Enzo saunters in the closet and tosses on some swim shorts. He takes me by the hand and leads me out of our room. The nursery isn't too far and I carefully open the door.

Alice is already here, changing Elle's diaper. Our little girl's head turns when the door opens and she begins to wriggle around.

"Morning, Nonna," Enzo greets the elderly woman.

"Good morning," she replies. "Swimming today?"

"I got him to blow off work," I proudly declare.

"You witch," Alice fake gasps. "Casting a spell on the poor boy."

"Sono stregato," Enzo declares, arms spread wide.
(I'm bewitched)

I laugh and scoop Elle off of the changing table. She grins up at me and takes a death grip on my hair. I scrunch my nose in discomfort as I try to free myself. I grab a little swimsuit and quickly get her dressed.

"I'm going to make some breakfast for the bambina," Alice says as she walks towards the door. "I can bring it out to the pool."

"Grazie," I say.

"Come here," Enzo coos, taking our daughter from my arms. "We're going to have a special Daddy day. Are you ready, tesoro?"

She giggles and claps her chubby little hands. I can't help but to smile at them. He really is an amazing father. So doting and loving. He doesn't just spoil her with things, but with his time as well. There are only so many hours in a day and he ensures that at least a few are spent with her.