Chapter 6 • The Third Summer

Enzo:

I've been pacing in the foyer for who knows how long. At any moment now my brothers will be arriving. All of the anxiety and fears I had about bringing Maria to their attention are about to come true.

Luca is going to fucking kill me.

"Can you relax?" Maria huffs.

I jump at her voice; I didn't hear her come over. She stands with her hands on her hips and her eyebrows raised. I know she means to be intimidating like this but I just think it's cute. She's dressed up for the occasion wearing one of her nicer sundresses. God damn do I love sundresses.

But I can see the worry in her eyes.

I extend my hand and she quickly approaches me. I pull her into a hug, resting my chin on the top of her head. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. She smells like flowers, she always does, and it helps me relax a bit.

"I'm sorry," I say quietly, still holding her to my chest. "I just-"

"You're nervous," she cuts me off. "But how do you think I feel?"

I pull back slightly to look at her, "they won't hurt you."

She rolls her eyes, "wow, very reassuring."

"It's going to be okay," I tell her firmly.

This isn't about her, it's about me. None of them would ever do anything to hurt her, to hurt any woman. But the fact that I allowed myself to get distracted; that I kept secrets from them. That's what's going to blow up in my face. That's what's going to get me punched in the face.

"You haven't told them about me for a reason," she says, looking up at me.

"I can't change things now," I shake my head.

"I know," she steps away. "I just- it's a big deal, okay? Meeting your brothers. They raised you! Luca is basically your dad! And now they know that you lied and they're coming here and-"

I clap my hand over her mouth, "and nothing. You will be fine. I might have a black eye in the morning but you, my love, will be fine."

She pushes my arm away, "what if they don't like me?"

"Fuck what they think," I scoff.

"Enzo, seriously," she insists. "We both know that you care about their opinions. What if they don't like me?"

I don't respond right away. Honestly, I hadn't considered that. I'd thought through all of the what ifs when it came to me. But never for a second did it cross my mind that they wouldn't like her. They may not approve of the relationship but I think it's impossible for anyone to dislike Maria.

And even if they don't like her, I don't fucking care. It may have started out as a marriage of convenience coupled with budding feelings, but it's grown to be so much more. She's the love of my life and nothing they do or say will change that.

"They'll love you," I finally say. "And if they don't, they'll have to go through me."

"You mean it?" her voice shakes.

"Of course," I reply earnestly. "I'd kill for you if I had to."

"You'd kill your brothers?" she scoffs, rolling her eyes.

"If it meant keeping you safe," I cup her cheek gently. "Yes. I'd do anything for you."

She smiles softly and my shoulders slump. I cup her cheek and kiss her gently. She drapes her arms around my neck and I pull her in even closer.

The doorbell rings and we separate. There's still the remnants of worry across her face. So I lean down and kiss her forehead.

I take a deep breath before opening the door. Not a single word is said before a fist collides with my face.