Chapter 1

Previously on Prologue

At such a young age, Y/N had to bear so much weight on her shoulders. Losing both her parents and sister could be too much for her. Thankfully, this lovely family welcomed her in their family with open arms. And it makes her feel... safe.

-Time Will Heal-

3rd P.O.V

It's currently in the middle of the night. Y/N lays in her futon. But she was getting restless by the seconds. Her head keeps moving left and right. An obvious sign that she was having a nightmare.

Tanjiro, who's sleeping next to her wakes up from his deep slumber when he hears her whimpers. He slowly opens his eyes and turn to look at Y/N who keeps on tossing and turns in her sleep. His eyes widen when he realize Y/N is having a nightmare. He scrambles to his feet and rushes to her side.

"Y/N... Y/N!! Hey, wake up!!" He said, placing both of his hands on the girl's shoulders as he starts to shake her. "You're having a nightmare, Y/N! Wake up!!" He said. Y/N's eyes shot open as she sprung up. She starts to breathe heavily as her eyes become wide and filled with fear.

"It's okay... you're okay" Tanjiro said, in a soft voice. Y/N finally turn her head to look at him. Tears starts to fill her eyes the moment her eyes landed on the burgundy haired boy. Tanjiro's eyes soften at the sight of the girl's tearful eyes.

"You're okay..." he said, smiling comfortingly at her. He gently places a hand on the back of Y/N's head as he pulls her close. Y/N instantly latches on him, burying her face into the crook of his neck. Tanjiro gently rubs her back, trying his best to comfort her.

Slowly Y/N starts to calm down. But she didn't make a move to pull away from Tanjiro. Tanjiro stays still as he would whisper how things will be all right to Y/N's left ear, as an attempt to calm her down. Eventually, Y/N's breathing evened out as she starts to drift off back to sleep.

Tanjiro pulls his head away slightly to look at her face. A soft smile appears on his lips at the sight of her sleeping face. The sight makes his heart feel warm. He gently lay her down, but she didn't let him go. He let out a sigh.

He knows if he tries to pry himself free, Y/N would wake up from her sleep. He didn't want to wake her because she's been getting constant nightmares, and sleep starts to become rare for the h/c haired girl. So he has no choice but to let her hold him until her grip is loose enough for him to get out of her embrace.

"Don't worry, Y/N... no matter what happens. I will be here to protect you" he said, in a soft voice. Ever since the day he found her with his father. He always felt a strong sense that he needs to protect her no matter what it takes.

His eyes gradually become heavy the longer he waits for Y/N to let go. He can no longer fight the sleepiness. So he slowly closes his eyes, letting himself slowly drift off to sleep while still holding onto the h/c haired girl.

***

Y/N P.O.V

The first thing I see when I woke up is Tanjiro's face as he lays next to me. I feel bad because he had been doing this repeatedly because of my nightmares. Even though he assures me that it's okay, that he didn't mind. I'd still feel bad for bothering his sleeps.

He slowly moves in his sleeps. I watch as he slowly opens his eyes. "Good morning..." he said. I just give him a small smile. He moves to sit up as he stretches his arms above his head.

I move to sit up. "I'm sorry for constantly making you do this almost every night" I said, apologetically. He turned his head to look at me and frowned. "I kept on bothering your sleeping time because of my constant nightmares. I just couldn't make it stop no matter how much I tried" I said.

"Hey... it's okay. After you told me what happened to your family. It's normal for anyone to experience what you're going through. But don't worry, time will heal. I'm sure you're going to be okay. You're a strong girl, Y/N. You're able to survive is a prove of that fact" he said. I said give him a small smile. He lift his hand, placing it on top of my head. "I don't mind... really. It makes me feel happy that I can be of help for you in any way. I'm sure you'd do the same for me, right?" He said.

"Thank you, Tanjiro. And of course I will. That's why we're a family, right?" I said. He smiles softly at what I said. He gently ruffles my hair. He moves to stand up. "Are you going to down the mountain again?" I asked.

"Yeah, of course. It's almost New Year. I want everyone to have their fills" he said. I smile softly at how caring he is. He walk towards the door and turn to look at me. "Do you want to come along?" He asked, smiling at me.

"Sure! That way we can carry more charcoals to sell" I said, grinning at him. I move to stand up. "Just give me some time to get ready, okay?" I said. He smiles softly at me and nod his head.

"Sure... I'll prepare your basket for you too" he said. I smile softly at him. He turned around and finally walks out of the house. I smile softly at his retreating figure. I have to hurry and get ready. Wouldn't want to keep him waiting.

I walk out of the house after getting all dressed up. I help Tanjiro straps the basket on his back as he does the same to me. He makes sure I get it steady before letting it go.

"Tanjiro... Y/N. Both of your faces are covered in soot. Come here..." Kie-San said. We walk towards her as she lift her hand, gently wiping away the soot from Tanjiro's face. She turn to me and does the same. I smile gratefully at her. She's been a mother figure ever since I was taken here.

"It could be dangerous for both of you to go down the mountain in this kind of weather. You don't have to go, you know" she said. Her eyes held worry for the two of us. Tanjiro assures her that it's going to be okay. Both of us want to be able to make sure everyone can eat a lot during New Year's Eve.

"Ah, Onii-Chan! Nee-San! Are you both going to town again?" A voice said. I turn my head to see Hanako and Shigeru. Both of them insisted they wanted to come with us. But their mother forbids them to. Even Tanjiro agrees with their mother. They look disappointed. In exchange, Tanjiro gave them a promise which makes them agrees.

A small smile starts to form on my lips. It's nice to see these happy family. It would have been me too if my parents and sister were alive. Mom, dad... S/N. How I wished all three of you are still here. I miss you guys, so much.

*to be continued*