Chapter 2

Previously on Chapter 1

A small smile starts to form on my lips. It's nice to see these happy family. It would have been me too if my parents and sister were alive. Mom, dad... S/N. How I wished all three of you are still here. I miss you guys, so much.

-Stories Of Demons-

Y/N P.O.V

Tanjiro and I slowly make our way down the mountain, making our way towards the village. I place my hands on the strap of the basket on my back to make sure it didn't slip. A soft crunching sound can be heard as we walk through the snowy pathway.

The air feels so cold that it almost stings to breathe. But it's a weather I had gotten used to. The only thing that bothers me is there's barely any sunlight that enters the land because of the clouds covering the sky. It worries me because I know what's lurking around in the dark.

Talking about those things always scares me. Even until now, none of the Kamado family members knew what really killed my family. They probably think it was some kind of wild beast. When truly... it was a monster some know as demons.

"Hey, what's on your mind?" Tanjiro asked, as we walk. I blink my eyes a couple of times and turn to look at him. He's staring at me with concern written all over his face. "Don't just be silent all the time. You don't know how your thoughts could be dangerous, Y/N" he said.

"Nothing is bothering my thought, Tanjiro. You don't have to be worry, okay?" I said. He just hums at what I said. He didn't look convince. But he didn't pry me to answer him, which makes me feel relieved. I don't want to have to relive all those horrible memories from my childhood. I just want to focus on moving forward, just like how my family would have wanted.

"Ah, Tanjiro! Y/N! You came down here in this kind of weather" one of the old lady said. I just give her a small smile. After what had happened, I find it hard to speak to others. I'm only able to speak openly when it comes to the Kamado family.

"Tanjiro! Right on time!!" A man said, running out of the house with a bloody nose. I turn my head to look at him. "I've been accused of breaking this. Sniff it... please!" He said, shoving the broken vase in front of Tanjiro. Tanjiro leans down and sniffs it. He's always have been able to smell things, due to his sharp sense of smell.

"It smells like a cat" he said, turning his head to look at the man. The woman looks flustered by the reveal as the man protest at her. I just let out a small nervous laugh. I flinch when they turn to look at me.

One by one, the villagers starts to call out on us wanting to buy our charcoals. Some of them asked for help with a few things. Like fix a door or other things. We gladly go around to give them a hand on their problems.

***

"Damn... it really got so dark. We've been in the village for the whole day" Tanjiro said, looking up at the sky. I turn to look at him and hums softly. He turn to look at me. "We should hurry back, or the others would start to wonder where we are" he said.

"Yeah, you're right, Tanjiro" I said. He smiles softly at me. We walk up the hill, trying to make our way back up the mountain when a voice calls out to us. We turn our heads to see old man Saburo.

"You're both going up the mountain at this hour?" He asked. Tanjiro answers for us, knowing I won't be able to speak. "You can head back up after the dawn breaks. Get in here... and hurry up. Before the demons come out" he said.

I froze at what he said. Memories of what had happened when I was little comes flooding back into my mind. I shut my eyes tightly and shakes my head, trying to get the memories to stop replaying in my head. I quickly grab Tanjiro's hand, pulling him along with me as we enters old man Saburo's house.

I just stare at the food Saburo-San serves us. Tanjiro eats the food in silence. "Is the food not up to your liking?" A voice said. I turn my head to see Saburo-San. I shake my head and quickly start to eat the food, not wanting to be rude. "If you don't like it. You don't have to eat it..." he said.

"I... like it" I said. Tanjiro turns to look at me with a look of surprise shown on his face. He must've didn't expect me to speak after being silent in front of other people all the time. A soft smile eventually starts to form on his lips as he realize I'm slowly opening up.

Saburo-San told us to get some sleep, that we can make our way back up the mountain after the dawn breaks. He laid out two futon for both of us. I just lay on one of it, staring at the ceiling.

"Saburo-San... what are demons like?" Tanjiro asked. I bit my lips as I shut my eyes tightly, trying to stop my mind from wandering off to that dreadful day. Saburo-San starts explaining what happened.

I feel my breathing gradually gets heavier. Tanjiro turn to look at me, noticing how tensed I look. "Y/N? Are you okay?" He asked. He quickly scoots closer to me when he realize I'm having one of my panic attacks, moving out of his futon. He wraps his arms around me, hugging my shaking form in his arms.

After a while, I finally calmed down. Tanjiro gently run his hand through my hair. I just lean my head against his chest, needing his comfort. I just close my eyes, letting myself drift off to sleep.

Tanjiro P.O.V

Y/N slowly drift off to sleep. I continue to caress her head, as I wait for her to get into a deep sleep. I turn my head and notice Saburo-San staring at me.

"You love her, don't you?" He said. I feel my cheeks start to get warm at his comment. "It's shown clearly in your eyes. The way you look at her" he said. I just look away, focusing my attention to Y/N.

"I don't know what happened to this young girl in her past. And it's quite clear that she finds comfort in your presence. Make sure to always be there by her side, understand? She's going to need you" he said.

"Of course, Saburo-San" I said. I pulls her close to me, and close my eyes. She snuggles closer to me, a soft whimper escapes her lips. I tighten my arms around her, trying to comfort her.

"Shh... it's okay. I'm here, Y/N" I whispered. Her body relaxes as she falls deeper in her sleep. I smile softly and place a soft kiss on the side of her head. Once I make sure she's okay, I finally let myself drift off to sleep.

*to be continued*