𝟎𝟎𝟏. 𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐚 𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝𝐛𝐚𝐭𝐡

001

001. ASHES OF A BLOODBATH

∘₊✧───────────────────────────✧₊∘

TUANUL WAS PEACEFUL THIS TIME OF YEAR. The sun had set, allowing the cool evening breeze to invite the village occupants out into the open to socialize with their neighbors. The culture of the inner rim was vast as each individual living on the planet's surface had once called some other place home. It's what made them unique: the fact that the First Order hadn't eradicated the individuality of the residents. Koria Dangir almost admired it. And if she weren't on an extremely important mission for the Resistance, she would have considered sticking around long enough to explore the diversity of the culture within that small village on the surface of Jakku.

The chittering of native animals could be heard in the distance, but it was the sound of the wind chime hanging outside the tent that Koria loved. It reminded her of home and the family she'd lost during the rise of the First Order. It reminded her of everything she was fighting for and why she refused to give up the fruitless search she'd been tasked with.

The elderly man sitting across from her eyed her with suspicions. She didn't blame him. She was hardly who he'd been expecting as the meeting was originally meant to be held between himself and the General. Some complications had arisen and the pilot had been entrusted with completing the mission on his behalf.

Slowly, the elderly man extended a closed hand, placing a small leather sack into Koria's hand. She accepted the gift, but paused as the old man placed his other hand overtop hers as if ensuring the safety of the delivery. Uncertain about how to proceed, Koria gingerly patted the top of his hand as if poorly consoling a child in mourning.

"Thank you, Lor San Tekka."

The elderly man sighed with content, leaning back as he finally released her hand. "This will begin to make things right. I've traveled too far, and seen too much, to ignore the despair in the galaxy. Without the Jedi, there can be no balance in the Force."

"Well, because of you now we have a chance," Koria agreed. She tucked the pouch away, attaching it to her belt. "The General's been after this for a long time."

"The General." Lor San Tekka chuckled as he pronounced the title. His smile was fond but his eyes were distant, as if recalling some far off memory. "To me, he's descended from royalty."

"He's certainly something," Koria replied, a hidden dig in her tone while her lips curled into a smirk. The general's mother may have been the princess of Alderaan, but he didn't quite fit the picture of royalty himself. Perhaps it was the roguish nature of his father that he'd inherited.