𝟎𝟎𝟐. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞

002

002. THE SANDS OF NOWHERE

∘₊✧───────────────────────────✧₊∘

THE DAYS OF THE EMPIRE SEEMED LONG GONE, YET THEIR IMPACT AND INFLUENCE REMAINED. It was present in the corrupt ideologies around the galaxy which placed the upper individuals of a society higher than those in need. It was present in the fear that gripped the hearts of those terrorized by the First Order. And it was present in the scraps and wreckage that littered the surface of Jakku.

The only good thing which came from the existence of the Empire was the worth of those parts that were buried into the planet's core. Although no one was likely to receive the exact amount—or even close—to what those parts were actually worth, whatever the scavengers collected and pawned off was usually enough to last them through the week. Survival was a task approached one day at a time. At least that's the way Seth approached it.

The scavenger currently sat knee deep in electrical wiring and cluttered parts within an Imperial vessel which had crashed long before he existed. He pulled back one of the metal panels before removing various mechanisms from within the walls. After a few minutes of meticulous searching, he finally found something of value.

He dropped the part in the satchel at his side before digging himself free from the dead wires tangled around his legs. He pulled back the goggles and face mask that occasionally suffocated him more than simply inhaling the grains of sand that tainted the air, then wiped the beads of sweat that had began to roll down the sides of his temples.

His eyes drifted upward, analyzing the massive wreckage of the vessel that had crashed to the planet's surface on its side. There were still several areas that he had yet to explore, but it would have to wait for another day. He already had more parts than he could comfortably carry, and he didn't want to risk falling from the slanted vessel more than he had to.

He readjusted the satchel at his side, tightened the cloth wrapped around his hands and wrists that acted like makeshift gloves, then began his descent down the two-hundred foot-long cable to his left. As he touched down, his feet clanged against the rusted metal floor.

He dusted the sand that had gathered in his dark curls before returning the canteen clipped to his side. He shook the object to loosen the pair of water droplets that remained before tapping his hand against the side of the canteen. His lips twisted into a grimace as his throat cried out for something to quench his thirst. He squinted as he looked overhead at the blazing sun, muttering a few curses under his breath as if it were possible to insult a star which was lightyears away.

With a sigh, he pulled his mask back up over his face and the goggles back down over his eyes before starting the long trek back to his hut. The housing fee was covered by his wages at work, which made it necessary to scavenge for parts to actually put food on the empty fuel barrels that he'd gathered and made a makeshift table out of. He had a roof over his head, but anything furnished within he'd scavenged—or quite possibly stolen. The living conditions on Jakku were harsh, but not impossible to overcome.