Chapter 77

"What do we do now?" Luna asks after a few minutes of silence whilst rubbing at the spot on her chest where Finn had punched his hand through. Rebekah and she had looked on as her mates completely faded into nothing.

"Don't ask me, this is your creepy mind maze." Rebekah replies, kicking futilely against one of the side tables.

Luna shrugs helplessly, eyes gravitating towards the lifeless body of her mother.

Rebekah follows Luna's gaze. She had not experienced much if any regret upon seeing her own mother die not too long ago but could imagine feelings of sadness if Esther hadn't been obsessed with removing Rebekah, her siblings, and all other vampires from the earth. Experiencing a sense of sympathy, she grabs Luna's hand. "Come, we must be able to find the source. How did it work in the show?"

Luna wipes at her cheeks, removing the last of her tears with resolve. "There was a hallway with doors, but this isn't exactly the same situation-"

"Look! There's a door!" Rebekah shouts enthusiastically, running toward it. She would do anything to get Luna away from the depressing scene.

"That's the door of the cupboard." Luna points out dryly, scratching at her eyebrow.

Rebekah yanks the door open only to be greeted by shelves stocked with food. "Ah, shit."

"Wait." Luna turns and looks at the windows, eyes narrowing. It had been day not too long ago and now it seemed to be night. That didn't make sense.

She steps to the window and sees a small stream of light seeping in at the edge of the glass.

She picks at the glass, successfully peeling what seemed to be a layer of vinyl off, revealing a bright and empty room on the other side of the glass.

Rebekah pushes Luna away from the window before punching at the glass, successfully breaking it. Without any warning she grabs Luna and pulls them both through the window, landing abruptly in the vacated space.

Seeing another door, Rebekah marches over to it, too pissed off at this mental maze to be cautious. To her surprise and relief, it wasn't another cupboard. She steps into the room, unable to recognize it. It was an abandoned home, with wood nailed to the windows, and an old stuffy couch in the middle of it.

She had not expected to land in some sketchy living room of sorts. She wondered if this too had been a home of Luna once.

"What is this place?" Rebekah asks, turning on her heel to look at her friend, who seemed to be kneeling over something.

"This is where Elijah is first shown in the series. Elena is kidnapped to be brought to Elijah. Elijah however is killed by the Salvatores." Luna replies whilst reaching over to grab the necklace off the floor, it was the same necklace Rebekah was currently wearing.

Luna remembers how Elijah had tossed the necklace across the room in the show before compelling Elena. Luna never understood why Elijah had done so, seeing as he surely must have recognized the piece of jewelry as well.

"Ha, it must have been a nasty surprise for Damon when he found out Elijah was still alive." Rebekah laughs, imagining Damon's displeased expression.

"It was." Luna nods, a sense of nostalgia coming over her. She remembers how excited she had been when she watched the show and saw Elijah's revival at the end of the episode, she instantly had a small crush on him.

"What are we looking for in this room?" Rebekah asks, fingers pinching at the peeling wallpaper with a look of mild disgust.

"I'm not sure." Luna admits, wandering away from her friend. She reached the top of the staircase, curious to see the other rooms of the house, only to run into a familiar face.