2

ARIEL

After a deafeningly quiet breakfast, both my parents left the house for work and I spent the day finishing a novel I started.

My dad owns and operates a business franchise that belongs to his family back in Italy, he opened a branch here in California after mom and him settled here. He's co-CEO, of Russo Security, along with his brother who still operates their branch in Rome. It's a security company that offers high end services for Celebrities and other such important people. I don't know.

My mom owns a restaurant down by the coast. It's a successful high end place that does very well on account of the indulgent locals and the people who come to Huntington Beach every summer, thinking it won't be as crowded. They're wrong. However, it's currently mid-january and I think it's the most depressing season to live here.

Between dad's business and mom's restaurant, they provided a life that was comfortable and happy, I had everything money could buy and more. My parents have loved an supported me and I get told alot that I am lucky.

Which I am. I am very lucky to have parents who provided a safe and happy home, paid the entirety of my college tuition and love having me home at an age where children are expected to fend for themselves.

But they can't protect me from the world. From people. They didn't even know half the things I went through in school. The cruel remarks when my body developed early, the ridiculing for skipping grades 3 and 7--

Who gets made fun of for being smart? Me.

--And the criticism of every little thing I did. For some reason, it only took one girl from middle school hating me for everyone else to just follow along.

Thank god Angela Demi wasn't smart enough to get into Princeton.

And my parents probably never will find out. School was a long time ago, and I have no friends from the time so I try to put that part behind me. I have never talked to anyone about it. I prefer ignoring it.

Do you? Shutup. I chastise my conscience.

As a Social Sciences graduate from Princeton, I was able to land a great job right out of college. It paid well and the benefits were great, and the hours were so easy. Inspite of my lack of people skills, I loved working. It gave me a sense of purpose after my mini freak out my senior year of college when life felt like it was ending.

But with my job my previous company, my life finally felt semi normal. I graduated college earlier so I had a great paying job at only 22. I was finally getting my break. Until that too went away. Like everything else in my professional life.

Is school considered professional life? I don't know.

The truth is, I want to work again as soon as possible but I am scared to apply anywhere, terrified even, of being under the scrutiny of a hiring committee and the chance that they'll come across my less than perfect last employment record.

I was a great employee, but being let go if on account of my 'coming onto' a married man in his 40's does not look good. Even if it's not true at all, that doesn't stop them from rejecting me.

Cold fear snakes up my spine at the thought. Rejection.

"Ms. Ariel." Our housekeeper interrupts my thoughts.

"Hi." I smile. "Im sorry I didn't hear you come in."

"No worries, I am going to head out now, I am finished cleaning." she informs.

"Okay, thankyou Claire." I smile at her and
she smiles back, walking away and I hear the faint sound of the door shutting behind her. I sigh, looking down at my laptop screen again. I bite my lip, frustration bubbling in me before I groan out loud, shutting it with a slam.

"I need a break." I say out loud.

"Then take a break." My scream is sudden and pitchy making my dad chuckle in amusement. "An overreaction to my good looks but I am not complaining." He smiles as he settles on the couch opposite to mine.

"Ha ha." I say sarcastically. "You scared me. I didn't even hear you come into the house." It seems I am not hearing alot these days.

"You seemed to be glaring holes into your laptop screen, Princess. Anything I can help with?" He asks, his face kind but his eyes sharp and calculating, as always.

"I just-" I stop myself. It's dad. I can tell him. "I wish I could go out of town. See new things. Get a job somewhere other than Corporate America." I slump into the couch with a sigh.

"How about corporate Italy?" He raises an eyebrow making me perk up.

"I don't think you can use the phrase like that. And what do you mean?" I ask him.

"Well, I would offer you work with me but you want out of Corporate America, so Russo Security, Rome is the next best thing." he shrugs. I bite my lip, contemplating the thought.

"So work for my dad?" I ask.

"More like your uncle but yes, essentially." dad says.

"Who I haven't met in almost 10 years." I point out.

"Who you spoke to on the phone just last week." he says pointedly. "You don't have to decide anything right now. It's an option. Anywhere else you apply, it could be months before you secure a position. And it wouldn't be a hand out. We would interview you first." he gives a cheeky smile making me roll my eyes.

"Thanks dad, I'll think about it." I sigh. "Do you think I can afford an apartment there? Are they expensive?" I ask.

"Princess, I think your Grandfather would be offended if you were living in Rome and didn't stay at home. I told you, our family likes kids to stay in the Family home." he says.

"You and mom moved out."

"Yes well your mom loves America." he rolls his eyes. "But we have that pact. We're moving to Italy once she's done working." He loosens his tie as he talks.

"Yeah." I sigh.

Italy. It does sound fun and exotic, plus it would be temporary if I did go. Nothing would be keeping me there.