02: The Luna

¤

L A Y L A

The man kept staring at me. I repeated his words in my head. Did he just call me Luna? Who was he? His presence was intimidating, drying my throat as the weird tingling deep in my belly rose, claiming me whole.

"Where am I?" I asked, croaking with how confused and disoriented everything felt. My nails dug crescents into my palms, the slight pain enough to keep me grounded.

The sexy guy ran a veiny hand through his hair, a little smirk lifting his lips. "Not the question I expected. But..." He trailed off again, squinting his eyes as he studied me. I imagined what he saw in me. I could picture my long blonde hair tangled with strands sticking out haphazardly, my violet eyes looking half-dead like I was hungover. "As you happen to be my mate, I'll ignore the rudeness."

Mate. The word sent a chill through me. My eyes widened, and the beats of my heart began to pounce. I never thought I would find my mate. I had thought I was broken. Yet, this man here was making me feel things Alpha Knox couldn't. He didn't appear to be lying.

Was I ready for a mate though? No, never. I loved my human life. If I couldn't turn, I wouldn't accept being chained to someone for life.

"Who talks like that to their mate?" I spat in my anger, having him blink at my outburst. The chair I was in shook as I struggled to wrench myself free.

The man tilted his head, continuing to study me like I was a specimen. Then, he crouched before me, so close that his knees brushed against my legs, creating more titillating sensations that I fought to dismiss.

"How do you want me to talk to you then?" he inquired, keeping his tone surprisingly leveled.

"I don't know. I'm not your mate."

He bowed his head, his shoulders trembling as if he thought me funny. When he looked up, there was a slight crinkle in both corners of his eyes.

"Yeah, not gonna work. I smelled your heat even from afar," he smirked. "Don't you feel mine? That primal hunger that's making you wish to tear my clothes off right now—"

"Shut up!" I screamed, cutting him off but his smirk remained. "Release me now. There will be consequences otherwise."

I didn't know what consequences I was talking about. My mind was foggy and I hated how uncomfortable I felt in my current state. I was stinking perhaps and that's what this guy thought to be my heat.

Yet, what about that strange feeling? Why didn't it go?

"What kind of consequences?" the guy questioned, clasping his hands, his elbows resting on his knees. Even crouched, he was taller, almost reaching my height as I was now.

"You don't know who I am." I tried to sound threatening but it came out weak. I never had to be authoritarian in any situation. I didn't know how my father did it. I had been taught to keep myself checked always, to never show my wild side to anyone.

"Do you know who I am?" he continued, his stare darkening.

"You're an Alpha."

"Of?" A dark eyebrow rose on his forehead, taunting me.

I couldn't find an answer. I knew he was an Alpha but of which pack, I couldn't clue in. I never thought I would have to learn my heritage this deeply. I avoided my wolf studies like the plague. Since I didn't have a wolf, my father never bothered to encourage me even though he pretended to be in front of Alpha Knox. Being human was all I had ever known. I was nothing more than that.