03: The Pack

¤

L A Y L A

As I stepped outside, following behind Khaos, Nate and Rowan fell into a step behind me, both vigilantly keeping an eye on me such that their shadows covered mine. I folded my arms, curling into myself as I reluctantly forced my legs to comply.

The area outside was much like my community with small houses surrounding a bigger house in the middle. The main house, which I presumed was Khaos' residence, was imposing in size, built of timber, stone, and wood with sturdy walls, peaked roofs, and large windows. It spread across the area, taking the larger part of the space. This must be where Khaos lived. The other houses were built the same, except for their miniature size and lack of sprawling wings with multiple stories.

We passed the training grounds where I spotted some men sparring inside a makeshift ring while a few others cheered on. As we walked by them, they stopped, staring at me with confused glances. I could feel their protective instincts rising which had me walking closer to Khaos's side who even if he noticed what his wolves were doing, didn't say much.

Where were the women? There seemed to be none. It was just men mostly. I hoped there was a woman. I couldn't live here without another female company.

"This is insane," I grunted as we kept walking around the Alpha's house instead of into it. "Aren't there laws against this? I'd like to talk to a lawyer."

"When you find one sane enough to believe in our existence, feel free to," Khaos said impassively, leading Rowan and Nate to chuckle. Their grins grew and I wished to slap them off.

"Why are you doing this? You can't force me to love you."

My words led to a halt in Khaos' steps. I didn't notice that until I collided face-first with his back. I murmured a curse as I stepped away. His shoulders were tense, his fingers curled into fists. There seemed to be something rippling through him which followed for a long moment before he turned to me.

Venom flared in his golden irises, a shiver coursing through him. He took a threatening step at me, looming over me like a very angry bear.

"I don't care about your love," he hissed, a growl in his tone. "I care about my pack. If I don't unite with my Luna, my pack will suffer the wrath of the Moon Goddess. I'm not letting them suffer just because their Luna has her head stuck up her ass."

I found myself lost in his eyes, unable to speak a word until he turned from me again.

"How will they suffer?" I blurted out.

Khaos kept stalking off, not bothering whether I followed anymore. I still did, wanting an answer,

"It's the marriage," Rowan replied instead. I kept close to him, seeking the full explanation. "Your union would replenish the powers of the entire pack. Or else there will be weakness spreading throughout, killing us one by one. That's the wrath of the Moon Goddess."

I have never heard that story before. I should have attended my lessons. I feel like a novice among my own species.

"Why would she punish the pack?"

Nate snapped a pair of surprised eyes my way. "Don't you know anything about your legacy, Luna?"

"I never bothered to learn." I gave a dismissive shrug, wanting to hide myself in a shell so that they wouldn't be able to see how vulnerable I felt right now. "My wolf doesn't answer me. I'm a human."

"If you were a human, I wouldn't have felt our bond. "My wolf calls to yours. It'll keep trying to find yours." Khaos commented sharply just as we reached an area that was designed to look like a dining hall. It was built around a fire pit with rows of wooden tables on either side, weathered from years of use.