PROLOGUE

As bombs were raining through the skies, the sound of machine guns and matchlock rifles could be heard far away just like the para-motors armed with machine guns and bombs that dueled above. Wreckages of land armored vehicles and para-motors that were shot down from the air laid scattered among the thousands of corpses that decorated the battlefield

Even three hundred years after the nuclear holocaust, humans still wanted to get at each other's throat for various reasons. It has been nearly fifty years of relentless war between the various states and factions that were engaging in this infernal meat grinder.

Somewhere in the front line, an assault as being prepared. A horde of trench raiders armed with short double-barrel shotguns, plated armors and various melee weapons as well as grenades were slowly crawling toward the enemy positions for more than half an hour.

Y/N was an experienced 'trench-raider.' Armed with his trusty axe, he already participated in several dozens of assaults against the Red Commune's troops for more than thirty-five years. He was the first one to reach the trench after cutting the barbed wires and checking if any pits filled with pointy sticks poisoned with feces were in the way for the next raid.

Like many of his brother-in-arms he harbored a strong muscled physique with several battle scars. But unlike the other, his tanned skin as well as his grey hair and his eyes colored like coal made it obvious that he was pretty old for a job where most of the recruits were around sixteen.

They were not coming. They did not know they were here yet. He was then followed by three other raiders. Clad in metal and leather armor, they looked like medieval soldiers covered in mud. They were stepping one foot after another to not make the least possible sounds.

Then he heard him.

It was a red soldier whistling in a nearby trench. He was contemplating the clouds while smoking the pipe. Y/N thought that he could steal his tobacco and enjoy himself with his future bounty. He decided to slowly crawl in his direction just at the corner of his trench, while the others were checking on the other parts of the defense network.

With a small mirror shard, he watched him smoking. Clad in a red tissue he was very young unlike Y/N. His weapon was a bow made of multiple branches attached with ropes and a rusty dagger — Probably a newbie that was forced to make the dirty job.

Seeing that there was a small corner to go outside of the trench, Y/N climbed out of the long ditch. He planned to ambush him from behind. Luckily enough, the fog was thick enough that there were no snipers lurking.

The raider pulled out his axe, crouched for a short distance before jumping in the trench and swinging his axe toward the bottom of the neck of that unlucky soldier.

"Go to sleep now, kid." He softly said with regret as he repeatedly struck the boy's throat, making blood gushing everywhere, staining his armor, his weapons and everything around in an explosion of red liquid. There, he had it... A small box filled with smoking herbs. A valuable prize.

As he contemplated his reward while trying to take back his axe stuck on the soldier's neck, he just had the time to notice that another red enemy entered in the area. Possibly the relief for the sentinel duty. Without hesitation, Y/N ran to him, pulled out his trench dagger and repeatedly stabbed the throat of that second soldier while covering his mouth. Unlike the young one, he was quite rotund and middle-aged like the raider.

He pulled the second corpse by the legs and put it next to the other.

"Alright. Now, let's blow up this fucking place." The raider said with a disappointed tone while seeking for the bag filled with dynamite he pulled while crawling toward the trenches.