thirteen | posh

We went back to Paris a few hours after the meeting. Mother was adamant that life in our small world returned to utmost normalcy. 

Which is why she enrolled me in school. 

Sainte-Elizabeth School is located outside of Paris in the vast countryside. It's home to the children of the rich and famous—from models to royalty. 

The point is, I won't be anyone special due to my family's connections underground. I'll be able to blend into the atmosphere easily. 

At least, that's what Father had claimed. 

Pierre attends the same school, so he took the same car as me. The windows are bullet-proof and tinted. A car trails behind us, another in front— extremely obviously. 

I smooth out my pleated skirt and blazer for the millionth time this morning. I stroke my hair that's been put into a French braid by Arthur, who know's how to do hair for some reason. 

Pierre glances at me. He cracks a reassuring grin. "Don't wear a long face. They're just rich kids, not demons or anything." 

"No one will like me." They'll see that I'm insane insane insane

Unworthy

Tainted 

Rotten 

My brother frowns and shakes his head. "You can't put negativity out into the world and expect positive energy back, yeah? Keep a smile and you'll be fine. Besides, you'll have me." 

He smiles crookedly. 

The car stops and one of the bodyguards opens it for me. Pierre hops out first, then takes my hand as I jump off the ridge of the car. 

We're surrounded by neat, kept fields and dozens of other towering buildings. In the distance, I see tennis courts, a swimming pool...everything is here. 

Pierre takes my shoulder and leads me into the biggest building that's decorated with winding green vines and blooming rose bushes. 

Inside, the walls are gleaming and polished, covered in old artwork from the Renaissance. The floor is marbled and my Mary Janes clack against it with each step. 

Only a few other students occupy the hallways. They barely glance at my brother and me. Being invisible gives me a slight jolt of joy. It makes me feel normal

In the corner of my eye, I see a bodyguard shadowing us. I think Father called him 'Johnson'. Father told me Johnson will watch after me in public. 

Pierre stops in front of a wooden door and knocks once, twice. He then opens it and steps inside. I trail behind him, and enter an office. 

A woman wearing pearls sits typing behind a desk, surrounded by luxury: a chandelier, some statues, even a Picasso piece. 

She glances up and smiles. "Ah! Monsieur Monet!" She exclaims brightly. "And is this Mademoiselle Monet? Pleasure to meet you, dearest." 

I flash a polite smile. "Pleasure," I mumble out a word. 

"Madame, I believe Headmistress still needs to be introduced to my sister. Is she available right now?" My brother continues. 

The woman nods and my brother leads me to another wooden door. He knocks twice, the enters the room. It's minimally decorated and screams elegance. Everything is dark and wood. 

There are rows and rows of bookshelves all carved into the walls. Two windows on either side of the room are floor-length, showing off the schools acres of manicured fields.