ch : 3

Jule pov

My hands clenched the steering wheel, knuckles whitening as the grand facade of the hotel loomed before me. It was a fortress of luxury, its towering walls clad in shimmering glass that reflected the turmoil in my eyes. I took a deep breath, willing my grip to loosen, and with a determined exhale, I gathered my purse and slid on my sunglasses, armor against the prying eyes of the world.

Stepping out of the car, I locked the door behind me, my movements mechanical, a stark contrast to the chaos brewing within. The hotel stood as a testament to opulence, its doors parting to reveal a corridor lined with guards who nodded in silent greeting. Their eyes followed me, curious yet indifferent to the storm they watched approach.

The receptionist, a beacon of warmth in the cool expanse of the lobby, offered me a smile. "Hello, ma'am, how can I assist you today?" Her voice was a practiced melody, soothing yet distant.

I returned her smile with one that didn't quite reach my eyes. "Could you please tell me if room number 554 is booked?" The words were steady, belying the pounding of my heart. It was the number that had haunted me since the message from an unknown sender had arrived.

She nodded, fingers dancing across the keyboard. "Just a moment, let me check for you." The seconds stretched into an eternity, each tick of the clock a drumbeat to my dread. "Yes, ma'am, it's booked," she confirmed, her eyes returning to mine, a mirror of professional detachment.

"Can you tell me who booked it?" I asked, the question a whisper of hope against the fear.

Her head shook, a polite refusal. "I'm sorry, ma'am, but that's confidential. Customer privacy is our priority."

A breath I didn't realize I'd been holding escaped me. My gaze dropped to her name tag-Luna. I looked up, meeting her eyes, a silent plea. "Luna, it's urgent. Please, I need your cooperation. Just tell me who booked this room."

She sighed, a moment of hesitation flickering across her features before she relented, her eyes returning to the screen. "It's booked by Adrian Volkova," she said, and with those words, my world tilted on its axis.

No, it couldn't be. Not Adrian. How could he? How could the man who vowed to protect me be the architect of my pain? The room spun, and I grasped the counter for support, my breaths coming in short, sharp gasps. Betrayal, sharp and bitter, clawed its way up my throat, a scream held back by sheer will. Adrian, my husband, my love-how could you?

I tightened my grip on the cool metal of the railing, my gaze shifting back to Luna. "Could you point me to room 554?" I asked, my voice steadier than I felt.

Luna's smile never wavered as she replied, "Of course. Take the elevator to the seventh floor, turn right, and you'll find it there."

I nodded, murmuring my thanks before striding towards the elevator. Pressing the button for the seventh floor, the doors slid shut, and I was alone with my thoughts. Tears threatened to spill from my eyes, but I refused to let them fall. Instead, I slipped on my goggles, hiding my vulnerability.

As the elevator dinged open on the seventh floor, I stepped out and turned right, my heart pounding in my chest. The corridor stretched out before me, each door I passed a silent sentinel to the turmoil within me-547, 548, 549, 550... until finally, room 554 loomed before me.

Taking a deep breath, I raised my hand to knock. One knock went unanswered. Then a second. On the third attempt, as I was about to knock again, the door swung open.

A woman stood there-a vision in baby pink that hugged her curves and revealed just enough to set one's heart racing. Her hazel eyes met mine, and I swallowed hard. "Who are you?" she demanded, her brows knitting together in confusion.