ch : 5

Adrian pov

The call with Luka ended abruptly, and I swerved the car towards his estate, my mind a tempest of fury and fear. "Damn it, Jule," I muttered under my breath, the name of my brother like a curse on my lips. Vuk's call had been a warning siren, informing me that Jule was at Luka's mansion. And then Luka, with his cryptic invitation, as if he held all the cards.

I gripped the steering wheel until my knuckles turned white, the leather groaning under the pressure. The very thought of Jule seeking a divorce lawyer through Luka was a blade to my gut. I would not—could not—let her go. She should have come to me first, damn it. Confronted me, allowed me to explain the twisted circumstances that led to that damning scene she witnessed.

The image of her walking away, of severing the bond between us, was unbearable. I could feel the control I prided myself on slipping. The urge to confront Luka, to unleash the wrath that simmered beneath my calm exterior, was almost overwhelming. But no, violence wasn't the answer—not yet, not when there was still a chance to salvage what Jule and I had.

If she needed time, I would give it to her. If she wanted to lash out, to slap me across the face for the perceived betrayal, I would accept it. But she had to hear me out. She had to understand that whatever she thought she saw, whatever conclusions she'd drawn, there was more to the story.

I would fight for her, for us. I would not let her slip through my fingers. She was mine, and I was hers, in all the complex, messy ways that love entwined two souls. I would prove to her that my heart, however shrouded in shadows it might be, beat only for her. And I would start by facing whatever Luka had planned. Because in the end, Jule would stay. She had to.

As I,  turned the corner, Luka's mansion loomed into view. The sight of my car prompted the guards to swing open the gates, and I drove through, the gravel crunching under the tires. I stepped out, the door thudding shut behind me, and the guards bowed in greeting. I nodded curtly, my mind preoccupied as I made my way upstairs to the office where Luka, ever the diligent worker, would be.

I had sworn to myself, if Luka uttered any of his usual nonsense, I wouldn't care if he was my brother—I'd throttle him. My hand pushed the office door open, and there he was, Luka, with Chole at his side. I strode in and took my seat, Chole bowing out of the room at Luka's command. I raised an eyebrow, impatience etching my voice. "I don't have time for your games, Luka. Make it quick, and it better be worth my while."

Luka's smile was a thin veneer over his scheming. "Jule came to me this evening," he began, and I felt a familiar rage ignite within me. The thought crossed my mind, perhaps I should just end him, take Jule, and lock her away from all this madness.

"She's asking for a divorce, little brother," Luka continued, and I leaned forward, my voice a low growl. "I don't care what you told her, or what decisions you think you've made on her behalf. I won't grant her a divorce. It's not happening."

Luka met my gaze, unflinching. "I can't force her, Adrian. It's her choice if she wants to leave you. As Pakhan, it's my duty to assist her."

I scoffed at his pretense of duty. "Since when do you handle divorces, Luka?"

He chuckled, a sound that grated on my nerves. "I don't, but it's my responsibility to protect my people. She came to me for help, seeking a divorce lawyer. And she doesn't want alimony, so you're in the clear. Just let her go."

I stood abruptly, my hands gripping the collar of his shirt. Luka was provoking me, enjoying the sight of someone losing control. But I wasn't just someone—I was Adrian, and I didn't lose control. Not until now.

Luka pried my hands off with ease. "It's not me who wants the divorce, Adrian. It's your wife. And remember your place. I'm your Pakhan and your elder brother."