XV

VOTE!

Sapnon mein shringar ho toh

Diye jal uthte hain

Khwahishon ke aur sharam ke

Diye jal uthte hain

Aaja piya aaja

Tere hi, tere hi liye jalte diye

------------------------------

Aradhana's POV

A smile spread across my face as I beheld the idol of Shiv Ji. With quickened steps, I ascended the final stair. Glancing back, I saw him two steps behind, perspiration evident, his kurta damp, hair clinging to his forehead. He soon surmounted the last step and stood close to me.

His abs were discernible.

No Aradhana!

I averted my gaze, looking ahead to see four priests approaching us. I settled my Pallu on my head and smiled in their direction.

"Pranam, Rana Sa; Pranam, Rani Sa," they all said in unison.

"Pranam," I replied, bowing my head slightly, and he simply nodded in response.

"Rani Sa, you may now give us the thali," one of them said.

"Haan ye lijiye," I said, handing it to them my hands were numb by now and sweating profusely. They invited us to sit near the hawan, indicating that the pooja would begin shortly. We nodded and began to walk.

First, we offered prayers in front of the idol; it was just me, and he stood by my side. Then we moved to the hawan area, where everything needed for the pooja was already in place.

We took our seats at the assigned positions, and then the main priest, Guru Ji, began to chant mantras and ignited the hawan. He dipped his finger in the Kumkum and applied it to Rana Sa's forehead. I expected he would do the same for me, but instead, he handed the bowl to him.

I frowned and turned to Rana Sa as he dipped his finger into the Kumkum and applied it. I thought he would return to his position, but instead, he came close, his breath whispering against my neck.

"Aap ko chune ka Haq sirf hame hai rani sa" he declared, and as I looked towards him, our faces mere inches apart and eyes dark with intensity, I nodded, swallowing hard, and we both returned to our respective places.

The Havan began as Guru Ji chanted mantras, instructing us intermittently to add ghee. The ambiance became increasingly vibrant and peaceful. We engaged in the puja with full devotion, praying for the safety of our family and loved ones. After two hours, the Havan concluded. Guru Ji then called out, 

"Rana Sahib?" He acknowledged with a nod. His gaze shifted to a priest holding a plate. With a nod, the priest approached and presented the plate to Rana Sahib, who in turn offered it to Guru Ji. All the while, I watched, unsure of the proceedings.

Inside were two boxes covered in red velvet. The guru applied Haldi and Kumkum, adorned them with flowers, and placed them before the hawan, inviting us to join hands. We complied as mantras were recited and offerings made. 

Then, the guru handed the plate to Rana Sahib, who placed it before himself. Subsequently, he held the small stool on which I was sitting on and turned it towards himself.

rI gasped and clutched his arm to prevent myself from falling. Then a priest handed him a large plate, which he took, and I looked on, dumbfounded, wondering what he was doing.