Chapter Twenty-Three

"You... you did, what?" Jade hissed looking around the empty hospital room as if trying to spot anything that could possibly be listening in to their conversation.

"I know that what I did is inexcusable but so were her own actions!" Tori exclaimed hotly. Her cheeks were fiery red as she thought about Jade's mother and the awful words that were exchanged between them yesterday.

Jade shook her head, her slightly knotted hair getting in front of her eyes. "I think... I'm in shock."

Tori wrung her hands in nervousness, butterflies fluttering in her stomach. She felt slightly queasy, worried that what she had done would taint their relationship. Tori wouldn't blame Jade for being angry. Despite how disgusting that woman was, she was still Jade's mother. It was for this reason that Tori was shocked to see the slow-appearing grin starting at her girlfriend's lips.

"Wh-what's wrong?" Tori asked in bewilderment. A mischievous spark gleamed from green eyes and Tori briefly wondered if the meds they were putting Jade on were actually affecting the girl's brain.

"Wrong? Tori, you are my new hero," Jade cackled. "You did what I've never been able to do. You stuck up for me and I will forever be grateful."

"Even though I almost killed her?"

Jade shrugged. "The bitch kind of deserved it, Vega. She used to physically attack me on a regular basis. I hate her more than you will ever know."

Tori didn't know whether to be relieved or concerned at Jade's reaction. She sat down on the edge of the white hospital bed and idly stroked Jade's leg on top of the blankets.

"Besides, it sounds like she'll survive. Where is she? In this hospital?" Jade asked sitting up further in the bed. "I want to see her. And laugh at the miserable state she's in. Rub it in her face."

"I don't think that's a good idea," Tori said deciding that she should probably be concerned after all.

"Why not? I finally get to leave after today's session and then I'll be able to do whatever I want!"

Jade was getting excited, her cheeks flushed and her eyes sparkling with a strange kind of madness that made Tori uneasy.

"Jade, she's finally been caught. You can charge her with child abuse and then you will never have anything to do with her again. Don't do something that might jeopardize that," Tori answered with slight urgency. It was important that Jade understood this. It wasn't worth getting herself in trouble over.

Jade slumped back against the pillows and scowled. "Yeah, I know you're right. I'm just annoyed that I can't see her while she's in this condition. I want to see what you did to her."

Tori winced, hoping that Jade never saw the violence that she had reduced to. "I'd rather you didn't. I'm ashamed of what I did."

Jade scoffed. "If the roles were reversed, I would have done exactly the same thing."

Tori looked into Jade's eyes and saw only truth and sincerity there. Her heart flipped and she leant down, brushing her lips against Jade's lightly.

"Thank you," Tori breathed before kissing Jade properly, wrapping her arms around her girlfriend's neck and moving to sit on her lap. Jade replied with just as much vigor, nipping at Tori's bottom lip. Their tongues met and Tori made a low sound in the back of her throat. This spurred Jade on and her hands ran down the brunette's back, lightly clutching Tori's ass. Tori broke away with a gasp and Jade grinned, running her lips down Tori's neck, kissing the skin there.

"Who knew beating up my mother would be such a turn on?" Jade teased. Tori slapped Jade's arm for that, laughing loudly.

"Don't be so rude!"