Chapter X: Take off Your Pants

"PPMC!" Dan shouted. To PPMC's surprise, he stood and leaped into her arms, sobbing.

PPMC patted his back. "Shh, shh. It's okay, Dan. It's over now. I'm sorry." She seemed to smile at the Hylonomus. "Thank you, little Hylonomous, for caring for my boy."

No problem, read her face. The Hylonomus approached Dan and hopped onto his arm. She crawled up its length and soon rested on his shoulder again.

"Amazing, PPMC!" Dan said once he calmed down and let go. "I didn't know you could turn invisible!"

"Oh, yes, I can," she mused. "Professor Chenoa and your dad programmed me to for the Paleozoic, Mesozoic, and early Cenozoic Eras because of all the lifeforms. The Precambrian Time wasn't necessary." Invisibility likely wasn't the best action against active volcanoes, after all.

Dan's face changed to an irritated, whiny one. "PPMC, why didn't you come after me? Thanks to you, Temnospondyli and Arthropleura nearly ate me!"

"Oh... um... well..." PPMC needed to think of something to say without worrying him. Everything was okay with her time machine. "I was going to, Dan, but I had to charge overnight. But here you are now. It's a small world after all, isn't it?"

It appeared like Dan suspected her lie, but he played along, even though PPMC heard suspicion in his voice. "Yeah, I guess it is."

"Now, why don't we get you taken care of?" PPMC suggested before things turned too awkward. She helped Dan inside, escorted him to his room, and sat him on his bed.

The Hylonomus left his shoulder and curled on his pillow like a cat. She was cute, but PPMC had other priorities.

"Okay, Dan," she ordered, smacking her hands together, "take off your pants, and let's look at your leg."

"Take off my—?" Dan blushed. "I don't think so, PPMC."

PPMC gestured at his leg. "We need to ensure your leg's not broken. Come on, kid, if you want that one-night stand, you must practice."

"I'm not taking off my pants, PPMC." Dan slid back and hit his window. He tucked his legs under his chest. "My leg's fine. I'm just happy to be back. If you want to help me, you can bring the Hylonomus and me some food."

Even though she wanted to laugh, PPMC stopped herself. This stubborn kid was not ready for sex if he wouldn't take off his pants for a minor examination. PPMC hoped he was starting to realize that. It was motherly love he wanted, not intimate.

"Could you at least tell me how you're feeling?" she pushed. "How's your so-called cold?"

"It's fine," Dan argued. "I just want some food." He paused. "Please."

Manners. That was new for him. It was a sign he was starting to change

PPMC remained patient and left for the kitchen, where she fixed Dan dinner—a big bowl of spaghetti and meatballs with a side salad.

He slurped his meal down like a slushy—so much for manners—and burped. "Sorry," Dan apologized.

"Oh, it's fine." PPMC removed his empty food tray. "As long as you don't do this all the time. You were hungry, though, so I'll let it slide this once." She set the tray on his table. "Will you let me look at your leg now, or do I need to sedate you?"

Dan shivered and grasped his thigh. He was contemplating; PPMC saw it.

"I won't hurt you. I'm just trying to help," she included. "What is it, Dan? Why don't you trust me?"

"What do you think?" he inquired, sweating. "You claim to be my mom, yet you left me to die to Temnospondyli and Arthropleura. A spaceship can't replace my mom, PPMC, so give it up." Dan rubbed his forehead. He slid off his bed and faced the bathroom.