Chapter Three - Where There's a Will There's Danger

'COME ON, JUST ONE jewel,' Alex pleaded. She and Charlie were sitting on a two-tier bench inside the gym. It had been almost three weeks since he'd found the stash of jewels, and ever since he'd told her about it, she hadn't stopped accusing Jacob of being a jewel thief. 'We'd be doing the community a great service. It's not as if he's going to miss one jewel.'

'No.' Charlie's voice was firm. 'Just forget I ever mentioned it.'

'I could try. I mean, it's going to be hard, and I can't guarantee the information won't accidentally slip out, what with my mouth.' Alex leaned closer to Charlie. 'As a loyal friend, though, I'll forget everything you've said. But I'm going to need something in return.'

Charlie looked at her, stunned. 'Are you seriously blackmailing –?'

A whistle blew. 'Blake. Dench.' It was Coach Finley, standing in the middle of the room with his arms crossed, surrounded by students. 'Shall I make you two a cup of tea while I wait?'

Some of the students sniggered.

Charlie and Alex got up and joined the group.

P.E. had become a daunting lesson for Charlie. Playing a contact sport was the only time Josh could torture him and get away with it. Today, they were playing a game of dodge ball. It didn't help that muscle-bound Coach Finley thought getting a good bashing taught kids to be strong. Charlie figured his body-hugging t-shirt, red jack-ups and black headband was cutting off the circulation to his brain, clearly.

Coach Finley split the class into two teams. Charlie and Alex were on the same team, Josh and Damzel on the rival team. Just as Charlie had expected, several balls headed for him at the same time, and had it not been for his quick steps and the help from his teammates, he would have had bruises tattooed all over his body.

It came down to six players, three on each team. Charlie, Alex and Josh were still in the game. Charlie and Josh went for each other, and their balls collided with a bang. Josh lost a player, and Charlie lost Alex. When Josh regained a ball, Charlie expected to be his main target, but to his surprise, Josh threw the ball at Alex. It hit her hard in the stomach, and she collapsed onto her knees.

'Stop the game,' demanded Coach Finley.

Charlie hurried over to Alex. 'Are you okay?'

Alex nodded, unable to speak. It appeared Josh had knocked the air out of her.

'You'll be all right, Dench,' Coach Finley said. 'Walk it off.'

'Yes, Coach,' Alex managed to choke out as her teammates helped her over to the bench.

Seeing the triumphant expression on Josh's face, Charlie marched over to him. 'You did that on purpose.'

'What if I did?' Josh said. 'Whatcha gonna do about it?'

'Hartley, you either play fair or you're outta the game,' said Coach Finley.

Josh shrugged. 'I didn't know she was out, Coach.'

It was now two against two, and Charlie had one goal in mind: 'I'll take Hartley,' he whispered to his teammate. Charlie and Josh dodged each other's balls, but they lost their teammates.

Alex cheered. 'Come on, Charlie.'

Charlie's eyes fixed on Josh's hands. He waited for him to make his move, and as though he was commanding him, Josh took the first shot. Charlie placed the ball in front of his chest, and Josh's ball rammed into his. As soon as it bounced away, he threw his ball hard at Josh.

Bullseye!

Josh went down, clutching his stomach. Charlie's teammates cheered, and Alex was the first to run over and throw her arms around him.