Chapter Seven - The Hidden Drawer

HEARING FOOTSTEPS ON THE stairs, Charlie lay still in bed, his face turned to the wall. It had just gone ten, and he and Richmond had only made it home an hour ago. His bedroom door squeaked as it opened and then closed again. He listened as Jacob's footsteps retreated down the hallway and then turned over onto his back. Rolling onto his stomach, he hung over the side of the bed and peeked under it. He just about made out Richmond's form in the darkness.

'You okay?' he whispered.

'Yeah,' Richmond whispered back. 'I can't wait to search for the gateway tomorrow. I think we'll find it.'

'I hope so.'

'Maybe you can use your psychic powers.'

Charlie smiled. 'I'll work on it. 'Night.'

''Night.'

Lying on his back, Charlie stared into the darkness, his mind wandering. He still could not fathom the fact that Thomas Wakeman was Jacob's father-in-law. It was strange enough that he had dreamt about Derkein, but now this. He didn't know what to think anymore. All he knew was that if they didn't find the gateway before it closed, at the rate Derkein was ageing, he wouldn't be around much longer. His eyelids started to flutter, and sleep eventually overcame him.

That night, Charlie had a dream.

He was standing in a misty forest, and all he could hear was his own breathing. Feeling a light pressure on his right shoulder, as if someone had touched him, he looked around but saw no one. The sound of footsteps disrupted the silence, and he jumped when a shadow ran past him.

'Charlie.' He recognised Derkein's voice but couldn't see him.

Another shadow ran past him, whispering, 'It's coming.'

Charlie followed its direction, the sweet smell of nature familiar and welcoming. Soon, he came to an open glade. Although mist swamped the area, he could still see what was before him. It was a graveyard.

As he sauntered through the graveyard, his eyes sweeping over the surrounding gravestones, he felt as if there was an unseen presence with him, guiding him. He finally halted in front of a black granite gravestone with no inscriptions.

Feeling the hairs on the back of his neck prickle, he quivered and spun around.

'Charlie,' someone whispered behind him.

He turned back around and gasped. It was Derkein, but younger – the face from the passport – standing inches in front of him.

'What, no flowers?' Derkein said with a smile.

Charlie shot a wary glance around the graveyard. 'What are we doing here?'

'You can't save everyone, Charlie.'

'What are you talking about?'

Suddenly, familiar faces appeared around him: Richmond, Alex, Jacob, Ms. Trent, Josh, Damzel, Carla, Rebecca, Mrs. Dench ... There were other faces too. Charlie spun in a circle.

'It's coming,' Derkein said. 'You can't stop it.'

Charlie looked at him. 'What's coming?'

'The end.' At that moment, the earth opened and swallowed Derkein.

'No!' Charlie dropped down on his hands and knees and started digging. Looking up, he cried, 'Someone, help ...' He stopped digging. The people had disappeared, replaced by gravestones.

The graveyard seemed endless.

A low, rumbling growl reverberated in Charlie's ears. Looking down, he saw two glowing red eyes staring at him through the dirt. Then two human-like furry hands with sharp claws burst out of the ground, grabbed his arms, and pulled him in –