Chapter Eight - Black Hole

THE MORRIS MINOR SPED through empty streets, Georgian architecture crafted from limestone flashing by. Street was an old market town situated in a valley eleven miles from Capeton, though Derkein made it seem nearer. Charlie had no idea the car could move so fast.

The rain had stopped, but the sky remained shrouded in dark clouds. They had just driven through the main square where the town clock displayed 7:10 a.m. The two times Charlie had visited Street it had been a vibrant place. Now the deserted silence had that eerie feeling, like walking through a graveyard, which brought back memories of the dream he'd had a few hours ago.

Derkein turned onto Orange Row, a narrow cobbled street behind the square – made for walking, not for driving – lined with shops and medieval-style buildings standing four to five storeys high that overhung the street so much one could barely see the sky.

'We're here,' Richmond announced from the passenger's seat.

The car tyres squealed against the wet ground as it veered to the right, back onto the high street, and stopped in front of a two-storey brown brick building, asymmetrically designed, topped with a dome adorned with a bronze statue. The library façade had attractive bay windows on the right and a triple-arched entrance on the left.

They exited the car and headed for the entrance.

'It just had to rain today, didn't it,' Alex complained through trembling lips. 'One little cough and I'll be on house arrest.'

A sharp gust of wind, blowing the smell of wet earth and sea air – a reminder the beach was close by – brushed against Charlie's skin, and he shivered. He dipped his hand inside his bag and withdrew the compass. The others leaned in for a peek. They saw what they had hoped to see: the compass needle spinning like crazy.

'How do we get in?' Alex asked.

They had expected to see the closed sign on the stained glass door panel, and much to Charlie's dismay, he knew he would have to use the breaking and entering skills Jacob had taught him. Fortunately, when he proceeded towards the door, he realised he didn't need the assistance of his alter ego, the Artful Dodger, for the door was open.

It was as if someone had been waiting for them. The first thought that came to Charlie's mind was that Candra had opened the door, just as she had led him to the letter. All this time, he'd thought she wanted to harm him when she had in fact been helping him. He just didn't know why. His second thought was that if the gateway did happen to be inside the library, something could have wandered out.

'A letter, a map, an open door,' Derkein mused. 'I feel like I'm playing Cluedo.' He pushed the door wide open.

'Here.' Charlie handed him a headtorch.

Derkein eyed Charlie's bag. 'You don't happen to have an age-reversal potion in there, do you?' he said with a smile. Charlie appreciated that neither Derkein nor the others had treated him any differently since it had come to light that he may or may not be psychic. 'Maybe you three should wait in the car.'

Richmond said, 'But I want to see the gateway.'

'Me too,' Charlie and Alex said together.

Derkein glanced back inside the dark building, deliberating. He looked down at the trio, his expression anxious. 'It's probably best if we stick together. Once we're inside, I need you to listen to me, okay. If I tell you to do something, you do it.'

The trio nodded.

Heading to the right of the building, Derkein led the way past the reception desk and down the central aisle decked with a row of tables and chairs with bookshelves on either side.