Book II Sneak Peek

As promised here is a little excerpt from Book II of 'To Live Again - The Road to War.'

Synopsis: Clara has overcome much to finally find her happily ever after...but when is anything happily ever after in Middle Earth?

Thranduil and Clara are content, very much in love, and looking forward to their future under the eaves of the great forest. But the fate of Arda requires much more off the pair than they could have ever anticipated.

When the life of their family, and all they hold dear is put in great peril - the Prince and his strange little Princess must force themselves to make difficult decisions.

Decisions that could separate them forever.

Excerpt from Chapter 1

"I am not happy about this!"

I roll my eyes and ignore my husbands continued ranting, as I neatly pack my cloth traveling bag. Legolas intently watches my reactions to his father's roaring, and helpfully assists me in my packing. Thranduil has known for a week and a half that I would be going on this little mission, and not once has he let up on venting about how unhappy he is about it.

"Will you be gone long, Nana?" Legolas asks with wide eyes, all filled up with anxiety. As a rule I don't leave him, but he is getting bigger now and old enough to know not to argue.

"No honey, I will be home before you know it," I smile confidently and cup his face in my palm. He has grown so much in the past year, he has almost completely shed his babyish features and his silky blonde hair falls neatly passed his shoulders. He even tries to braid it now, in an attempt at copying his father and the other guards. Thranduil often takes him to the training grounds to practice using a bow, and surprise surprise, it is his most favored weapon. Though he is still young enough to enjoy playtime and cuddles with his Nana, something which I am very glad of.

"Can the wood really make me sick?" Legolas questions again, because he does not quite understand why he can't come with me.

"I hope not," I reply sadly, "but I am not taking any chances, you stay here and look after your Ada for me, okay? You know how lonely he gets."

"Fine," he grumbles and slides off the bed in disappointment. Trotting up to his still seething Ada, he clutches his hand and gives him a sympathetic look. "It's okay Ada, I will keep you company."

I stifle a chuckle as Thranduil immediately softens at Legolas' touch. He stops his grouching long enough to receive a comforting hug from his son, and the scene just melts my heart. Legolas with his arms locked tightly around his Adar's waist, his little head tilted so far back so he can meet Thranduil's gaze and give him the widest grin.

"Right, that is me ready," I say brightly as I shrug the backpack over my shoulder and confidently lift my bow and quiver. "Hopefully, I will have no need of these but it will make a good gesture of peace between Glorfindel and I," I say with a resolute nod.

"Clara!" Thranduil groans and pinches the bridge of his nose. "I swear I will not rest for a second until you are home."

"I will be a day's ride from home, Thranduil. I am not even crossing over our borders, I think I'll survive," I snigger and shake my head at his theatrics.

"A day's ride is long enough if one is injured or ill!" he snorts in response and strides after me as I make my way to the courtyards, to get this little mission underway. Legolas bounds ahead of us, helpfully carrying a saddlebag filled with provisions for my journey. My sketch book, my charcoal, and numerous amounts of savoury treats; normally I am a sweet tooth kind of gal, but as of late I have a terrible craving for all things savoury. In lieu of crisps, I have an assortment of salted nuts and cured meats to snack on. Well... there is no point in starving myself is there?

"I am not going to get injured or become ill, it isn't going to happen," I chuckle and link my arm with his. "Why are you fretting so much? You will be busy with the guard and the defences, you will barely miss me."

"I feel uneasy," he answers me honestly and suddenly jerks me back so I am halted long enough to catch his eye. "I do not like leaving you and I certainly do not like you leaving our home without me."

"You are too protective," I frown and jab a finger to his chest; "This could get suffocating. You have to let me have a little bit of freedom."

"It is not like that," Thranduil answers me quite pleadingly and grips my hand tightly in his. "I do not wish to stop you, I know you can look after yourself, I know you feel this is your duty. I just feel uneasy, and yes bizarrely protective of you."

"There is nothing bizarre about it, you are just overprotective," I smirk and stretch up to kiss him tenderly. "Nothing is going to happen, and I will return home soon enough with good news."

"I hope so," he murmurs and graces me with a soft smile. He runs his fingers through my hair and brushes my cheek with his fingertips; "Do not take too long."

"I won't," I answer and accept another kiss from him. For all of my bravado I understand what he is talking about. I don't really relish the idea of being separated from him, but I put that down to bad experience.

The last time I ventured from his side in the wilds, I ended up an inch from death...again. That won't happen this time, because I have a small army escorting me, as per order of the King. I have Aradan flanked by three of his best guards, Calanon and several senior healers, all skilled with elven enchantment and experienced with service in battle. Raffyn will also be joining us, as the eyes and ears of the King. I am sure he is thrilled! There is not the slightest possibility that I will get into trouble, or cause a scene. I have one goal, find the infected plants, fix the scenario and come home unscathed.

What could possibly go wrong?

**********
Winter Release 2015:
Story Link:
http://my.w.tt/UiNb/FVsXf2E5jv