Chapter 17

I can feel the color leaving my face as I race down to the meeting room with Olivet right behind me. We have to dodge kids that were getting ready for school.

When we get to the door we slow to a walk. I run my hands through my hair as Oliver opens the door for me.

"Here she is now." My dad stands and holds his hand out. I take a seat and Oliver does the same before my dad does.

Everyone that was at the meeting last time is present now along with some of the high-ranking members. All of us just sit waiting for my father to begin.

"Like all of you have heard, there has been another attack. This one was in one of the packs to the east of us. Unlike the other attack this one has less people missing. This pack was more equipped with dealing with an attack than the other." My dad looks from face to face.

He continues, "more of their house and buildings were destroyed in the attack though. Like us they are in the woods away from most human contact, which means we will be sending some people out to help with the cleanup and rebuilding. Any suggestions on who we should send?"

Without hesitation I say, "I'll go."

Everyone's head turns to face me. No one says anything as they look.

Shocked my dad is the first to speak, "are you sure you're willing to go Mia? It could be dangerous."

I nod and look straight into his eyes. "Yes, I'm sure. I am going to be the Alpha, I need to start getting out there. Also, Kacee was just picked up by her father today, I don't have to look after her. This is the perfect way for people to see me doing something for the other packs and for me to help. I need to show that I am willing to do anything for our kind."

Some of the people around me nod in agreement.

"That is a good point. I will assign you to the team going. Now as for the others who else will be send?"

Right as he asks the door opens and Colton falls in followed by a pack member named Lucy chastising him. "Colton get your butt out here! You can't go in there!"

All heads turn to where is standing by the door.

"I want in."

My dad speaks before any of the grumpy elders have a chance to say anything rude to Colton. "Why would you want to help out our kind?"

This is his way of giving him a test to see where is mind is. It's a way to quiz him without going out and saying it.

"I would like to help to prove that I want to be a part of your family, your pack. I also want to help out because I know just how much destruction hunters can cause. They killed my birth parents, I want to help in any way I can."

Understanding fills my dad eyes. Colton passes the test that he put in front of him. "I will allow you to join the team if Mia approves." everyone turns to me. "What do you say Mia?

I hate being the center of attention, but I guess I will have to get use to it. "I think that it will be a good idea for him to join us on the trip. He can see other packs while helping out.

Oliver jumps up knocking his chair over in the process. "I object! You can't send the human out with our packs while they aren't at their strongest. What will they think when they see a human among us. Send me instead and I will not only help with the repairs but also look after Mia. I'm sure you don't trust this filthy thing with Mia's life. You said it yourself, it could be dangerous." when Oliver finally stopped talking his entire face is red.

Colton is instantly in front of Oliver. "Do you want to say that again?"

"You. Are. A. Filthy. Human. Do you need me to speak any slower for you to process?"

I stand up about to defend Colton when my dad stands and throws his hands on the table making everyone jump. "Enough!"

Everyone shut right up looking afraid. I am the only one who doesn't cower under his stern glare. Me being an Alpha, I'm not affected.

"Oliver that was very unprofessional of you. I expected much more out of you. I'm sure your father is very embarrassed by your actions as well. You will not be accompanying them and that is final. Not only did you just lose any chance you had of going by throwing that fit, but you are also needed here. You need to apologize to our pack member. Now.

Unhappy Oliver turns to Colton. "I'm sorry."

My dad nods. "Colton, you may come take a seat with us since you will be joining the team. I am sorry that one of our own has felt the need to say those hurtful things."

"It's alright" Colton says as he comes to take a seat on my left with Oliver on my right.

Lucy comes and apologizes and shuts the door so that we can continue with our meeting.

Sighing my dad places his head in his hand. "Now that that is taken care of, who else should be send?"

A few names are thrown out and the elders either say yes or no to them. The rest of the meeting was pretty boring after the almost fight.

Suddenly I feel a light squeeze on my left hand. I look up to see Colton smirking beside me. My first thought is to take my hand back, but I just let it rest in his. I actually like him holding my hand even though I shouldn't. I promised my dad that I wouldn't let things go any farther at least for the time being.

Once all the plans are made I go to my room to start packing.

We are going to leave tomorrow morning and stay with the pack for three days to get as much done as we can.

After I pack I climb into bed for my first restful night in weeks.

***
Sorry for the late update! School has just started, and it's been a crazy few days.