PART 24 - Chapter 15

PART 24 – Chapter 15

No one will tell me what happened to Rick. Most everyone acts like Paulette, shunning me until I feel I can’t even go near them again. They seem to hate me and even though a week has passed, no one is letting up. Only Kurt gave me sympathetic looks but I think he secretly wants me on the wheel to throw knives at.

Coming out of the performer’s area, I bring in my LED Poi and set them on the edge of the Ring. Westley said he’d meet me in practice today and usually he’s the first to show up, complaining on how late I am. My eyes search the stands seeing no one but Lightning Feather and Rachael. A sigh escapes my lips in frustration.

Though everything has pretty much messed up my mind, there has been a good thing in this. The voice is gone and no one calls out for Rachael anymore. Not that it’s such a happy thing, but it makes everything less tense. Since the two girls have crossed over people have loved talking to them, especially Rachael. I’m just glad to know I’m not schizophrenic. Others can see them, speak to them. And they are real since I’ve seen so many people give Rachael hugs. It’s not right and yet it feels so normal.

I’ve noticed Feather has taken a liking to Lucy. She treats her almost like she’s her child. She’s always with her whenever she’s not stalking me or Rachael. And Lucy, the spotlight lover, is more than happy to take all the attention she can get. Right now the demon girl works as a stage hand. She likes to work very closely with Westley by always helping him and whispering in his ear.

And he likes working with her.

I stretch out my thigh by sitting straddle on the floor, trying to touch my toes. Lightning Feather is in the stands along with the burned girl. They’re talking something of cupcakes I think. It’s nonsense really and very annoying. Mr. Huntsdale supposedly told them to help me while I practice but they aren’t caring in the least. They’re just sitting there, completely ignoring me.

I still don’t trust Rachael. Maybe it’s in the way she looks at me or because we haven’t spoken since she left my trailer. Something about her is off and I can’t tell what. She and Lucy haven’t spoken either, or at least I haven’t seen them together. They could have been talking at night but I wouldn’t have known. Nothing really makes sense anymore anyways.

Ten minutes pass and Westley still hasn’t shown up. Normally I’d look for him but I’m just not in the mood. After everything that’s gone on in the past couple of weeks, he and I have grown more distant. What’s strange to me is I’ve gotten to like it. There’s more freedom and less hostility. But I miss him too. He’s mine but I get the feeling he’s sneaking off with someone. It crawls under my skin and I just don’t know what I feel for him anymore. I just know I need him.

I stand and brush off the little bit of dirt from the ground. It’s time to practice, with or without him. I grab the little stereo and pop in my CD. The beginning beats where I run to the center are skipped but I still pretend to light my Poi. After that, I begin.

My arms hold to the swinging cords as I spin them in front of me. With all the distractions, I’m not as intense with this dance as I should be but without Westley around to yell at me, it’s abnormally nice. I start rotating my arms making smaller circles with the lights before spinning again. It’s less interesting with the simple LEDs but with fire it’s stunning. I love the danger of it. My body turns to face the stands with the oblivious audience.

“Poison. I got the Poison. I—”

Silence.

With the music randomly ended, I let the poi gradually stop swinging and hang by my side. I look back to my stereo and sigh. The batteries must have died on me. Westley usually checks that stuff but seeing as he’s not here… A low frustration grumble comes from my throat. This is just perfect.