Chapter Three

JOSH'S POV

I take a deep breath before I knock on the office door. The folder in my hand suddenly feels a hundred pounds heavier and I wonder for a second if I did the right thing. I don't have time to change my mind as suddenly I hear a voice from within.

"Come in." He growls and I slowly turn the knob and open the door. The slight smell of alcohol and staleness hits me as I walk in. "What do you want."

"I found-" I start but am quickly cut off.

"About damn time!" He turns around and I see Ashton's eyes glow. "It's been weeks Josh! It shouldn't have taken this long!"

"She left with no trace Ashton!" I shoot back, feeling my anger start to rise. "She could've been anywhere. We've had scouts almost everywhere in America. We've had to ask packs to cross their territories, and you know how long that can sometimes take."

"It shouldn't fucking matter Josh! She's my goddamn mate!" Ashton snarls as he slams his fist down on the mahogany desk, creating a dent in the shiny wood.

"Well what do you expect when you treat her like shit Ashton! Of course she left you!" My own temper takes control and I feel my wolf pushing at my mind. He was never happy watching Evie get hurt from Ashton's actions, nor the fact that I couldn't tell her what was going on. But I know underneath all that anger, was a bit of jealousy and longing for a mate of his own, my own.

"Watch your mouth Josh." The harsh growl comes out between his teeth.

I bare my teeth at him. "You should've watched your dick."

I duck as the glass paperweight comes flying at my head, shattering as it hits the wall behind me. The shards clink against the floor when they fall. I watch Ashton warily as he braces his hands on the desk, his eyes blazing. "I should rip your neck out."

I give a half hearted smirk. "You been saying that for weeks. I'm still waiting for you to go through with it."

He takes a deep breath, visually calming down. "You're right. I'm sorry. It's just been hard-"

"I know." I interrupt him, "it's been hard for all of us."

I don't think he's realized what he's put the pack through. Scouts continuously gone, searching every park of the U.S. and starting to go into Canada. Everyone's been tense, feeling the strain of what the Alpha is going through. The pack heard rumors of an Alpha Female, but everyone soon grasped the fact that our Alpha did not like to be reminded of her.

He sighs quietly, "I'm ready for her to be mine again. I need her here with me."

I throw the folder on his desk. It opens slightly, allowing the research and information I've managed to track down be seen. Ashton quickly grabs it and opens the folder all the way. A few pictures of Evie, one of her most recent school picture to show other packs and a few grainy ones from the pack who found her, fall out along with a map and information on where she is now.

A gasp leaves Ashton's mouth. "All this time, she was there? She went back to her hometown?"

"Her hometown college to be exact. It was obvious, in plain sight." I walk up to his desk and look at the pictures and map. It was obvious and we should've checked there first. I voice my thoughts to Ashton.

"Yeah, we definitely should've. That was stupid of us." He winces. "Of me. I assumed she would want to get as far away from here as she could. Book it to the other side of the country. Or farther."

"Me too." Ashton scowls at me and I put my hands up in mock surrender, "you're the one who said it."

"I did." He nods begrudgingly. "Doesn't mean I like hearing it a second time." I chuckle and shake my head.

"Whatever man. We found her though."

A strange glint enters his eyes. "Yes we did. Now it's time to go get her. Time to go get my mate." Ashton abruptly starts walking towards the door, grabbing the folder as he passes his desk.

"Ashton," he stops at my voice, "she's not going to be happy to see us."

He gives a half smile. "Have you met her?" I raise my eyebrow. "No she won't." There's silence as Ashton walks towards the door and opens it.

"What are you going to do when you find her?" I ask hesitantly. Ashton's gaze softens then hardens in a fraction of a second.

"Anything necessary to get her back."

A/N: Alright, I know it's short but I couldn't find anything else I wanted to put in this chapter. But I hope that you guys have a small inclining as to what is coming next. I know I'm excited.