Winter

Days became weeks and then months. Before I knew it, six months had passed. And I had visited Loki every single one of those days. Slowly, very slowly, inching forward like a snail, Loki began to open up and even could be polite. His snarky, sarcastic mocking never left, however. We still fought, but we could stop and be friends again just as fast. Loki became my best friend in those months.

Ashanti was leading a very romantic life with a guard from the palace. She still saw me, but we rarely had time to talk. Lawrence hadn't spoken to me since I had smacked him in the market place. He watched me however, I could feel his eyes on me all the time. Mother was finally able to stop working. She volunteers at one of the local schools however. When everyone had left, I could always count in Loki being there.

I told him everything about myself, everything except for my father. I wanted to keep that story to myself. Loki told me bits and pieces about his life, but had so many walls up, that by the time I actually got him to talk, he said very little. Still, I remembered everything he said. I filed it away in my memory for future reference.

Summer vanished and Fall followed close behind. Winter set in upon Asgard like the black death. Winter in Asgard was always dreary. But I loved all of it. Everything. From the dark  skies to the ice snow. Asgard's snow is different. It's mostly ice and it falls like rain. But it is still fun to play in.

Today, it was dark cloudy and cold. The ground was covered in a thin layer of ice that crunched beneath my feet. I walked briskly to the Tower, it being too cold to ride Shelia. My cloak didn't offer much protection from the bitter cold, but I pulled it closer to me. I blew on my mittens, my breath making little clouds in the chilly air.

I climbed down the ladder with trembling hands. I jumped down and shivered, pulling my cloak closer. Then I let out a little gasp. Loki was sitting in the corner of his cell. Everything looked normal and neat. Everything except him. His smooth hair was  now in his face and was even tangled. His eyes look darker then normal. His clothes were wrinkled and rumpled. His face seemed  even paler then normal. I cocked my head to one side, edging nearer to his cell.

" Loki?" I asked softly.

Instead of a snarky answer or an enraged one, his voice was soft.

" You shouldn't be here Lola. It's not safe." He said, looking hopelessly at the wall. I had never seen him this way.

Normally he was well groomed and his face  was emotionless. But today.. It was as though all his emotions that he taken such great care to hide, had come tumbling out. Like water rushing from a broken dam. The way he spoke was gentle, as though he didn't have the strength to try and be sarcastic.

" Why not?" I asked.

" On days as cold as this, its hard to keep my Jotun from showing. You should leave. Please. I would only frighten you." His voice, his face, they were both so broken. I felt tears form in my eyes. I had never cried in front of Loki. I walked closer to the cell.

I hasn't entered his cell since he had healed me all those months ago. I promised myself I wouldn't or he would use some trick to escape and then I would be blamed. But today, I broke that promise. I stepped in, my shaky breaths making little puffs of smoke in the cold air.

I moved until I was standing in front of Loki. He looked down at his hands, for once he couldn't look me in the eye.

" You need to leave. Now." His words sounded mean, but his voice was just worried.

I reached down and pulled him up until he was standing. He stumbled forward and fell against me. Fortunately, I was able to stop us from falling. He righted himself. He never looked embarrassed. It simply wasn't in his nature to feel ashamed for anything he did. He looked fine now, but I was blushing.