ii.

t w o

~

Ashton Grady's gaze was focused on her hands as they carefully scraped away at a slowly-sharpening knife. The weapon didn't belong to her, as Owen refused to let his niece carry any sort of lethal weapon after an incident that occurred only weeks before (that's a story for another time), so instead, she was only merely sharpening one of her uncle's many knives out of sheer boredom.

Her and Owen had only just arrived back at their little beach-side bungalow minutes before, and Ashton was still shaken up because of the incident that happened at the Raptor paddock. Whilst trying to capture an escaped pig, a new employee- a guy named Ralph, whom Ashton had shared a few words with from time to time- fell into the paddock. This resulted in Owen Grady rushing to his rescue, causing him and the newbie to almost be devoured by four hungry Velociraptors. They both escaped unharmed, though not without the help of Ashton when she managed to calm Echo down as the sandy-colored Raptor attempted to claw her way through the thick metal bars that separated her from the newbie.

Though she felt a twinge of excitement towards the fact that she now knew what control she had over the Raptor that she imprinted on years before, Ashton was still pretty shaken up because of what happened. Because of Ralph's stupid idea to try and snare a pig as it ran through a Velociraptor paddock, her uncle (who just so happened to be her only legal guardian on the island) risked his life against four, unpredictable creatures that just so happened to have a five-and-a-half inch sickle claw on both of their feet.

Ashton was pulled back into reality at the sound of metal tools clanking together. Her uncle was no longer beside his motorcycle, but instead gathering the tools that were scattered across their sandy front yard. Though she was surprised to see that the pair were no longer alone. Instead, they were joined by Jurassic World's Operations Manager, Claire Dearing. Ashton was never too fond of the prissy woman, especially now that she was invading her privacy by visiting the isolated bungalow, though her uncle seemed to take a liking in the red-head. That was, until Claire agreed to allow him to take her on a date. Long story short- it did not end well.

Letting her curiosity get the better of her, Ashton listened in on the adult's conversation, though she made sure her gaze was still glued to the knife she held in her hand.

"You just went and made a new dinosaur?" Owen stopped in his tracks, cocked an eyebrow at the woman before him as he wiped the dirt and grime from his hands on his already-filthy pants.

Claire's nose wrinkled slightly at the action, causing Ashton to subtly scoff. "Yeah. It is uh- kind of what we do here. The exhibit opens to the public in three weeks. Mr. Masrani wanted me to consult with you."

"You want to consult here, or in my bungalow?" Grady questioned, wriggling his eyebrows suggestively. This caused Ashton to snicker, and she finally turned her full on attention to the adults, setting the knife beside her.

Once again, Claire's face pulled into a look of disgust, and she slowly shook her head. "It's not funny."

"A little funny," Owen chuckled, glancing up at his niece and sending a subtle wink towards her as she laughed louder.

"A lot funny, actually," Ashton spoke from her spot on the deck, earning a death glare from the she-devil in heels standing not ten feet from her.

"We would like you to evaluate the paddock for vulnerabilities." Claire's gaze left the fifteen year old, focusing on Owen Grady once more. After this, Ashton stopped listening. Though the thought of a completely new asset excited her, she did not want to listen to Claire Dearing speak professionally to her clearly unprofessional uncle. If there was one thing Ashton learned in the five years she lived on the island, it was that class and Owen Grady did not mix. She found it rather amusing, however, as he continued to shoot suggestive jokes towards Claire in attempt to flirt- failing miserably, might she add.

Ashton was pulled back into reality as a familiar red box full of tools was set beside her. She quickly leaped to her feet, staring at Owen expectantly as he began to speak.

"I'll be back soon. Don't go and get yourself killed."

Though his failed attempt in telling his niece to be careful amused her, Ashton only raised her eyebrows, a scoff falling from her parted lips before she had the chance to stop it. "Seriously, Owen? I just watched her step on you like a bug and squash you with her six-inch heels." She didn't even bother to speak quietly, not giving a damn if the red-haired she-devil heard every word she said. Ashton Grady was an outspoken person, and she was proud of it. "You can't just let her push you around like that."

"She's a woman. From experience, I've learned that it's easier to just let them push you around," Owen countered lamely. He rested a hand on the younger girl's shoulder, giving it a comforting squeeze. "I won't be gone long, and I'll be sure to tell you all about this new dinosaur when I get back. We can even sit in front of the fire together and make fun at these idiots' attempt of playing God."

"You seriously think I'm going to stay here?" Ashton wasn't giving up, following closely behind her uncle as he began to make his way over to Claire and her vehicle, parked not too far from them. "I'm obviously coming with you."

"Oh, no you're not." Claire Dearing spoke up before Owen even had the chance to process his niece's words. Her words dripped with venom, her face pulled into a look of obvious annoyance. "We don't need a kid around this paddock- especially not a kid like you."

"Excuse me? I'm what- half your age and I can assure you, I know more about these creatures than you ever will in your life," Ashton retorted bluntly, cocking an eyebrow at the woman in front of her. "I'm coming."

It was beginning to grow clear to Ashton Grady that she wasn't the only stubborn woman on this island, as she had previously thought. She was greeted by the same response as before- Claire's eyes rolling obnoxiously in their sockets and her overly-glossed lips curling into a deep frown.

"You're a fifteen year old girl."

"And you're a self-centered, prissy bitch. Your point?" Ashton countered, placing her hands on her hips and pursing her lips.

"Hey, language," Owen warned, though he was unable to hide the snicker that fell from his lips at the girl's sass.

"You know I'm right," she stated flatly and merely shrugged.

Despite the obvious annoyance towards the fifteen year old that came from the woman, Claire only laughed dryly. "You wanna do something helpful? My nephews are coming for the week- they should be arriving around noon. Show them around."

Ashton cocked an eyebrow in disbelief, irritated with the woman's tone. "You want me to babysit? Yeah, no thank you. I'd rather feed myself to the Mosasaurus."

"Oh, that's a bummer," Claire sighed in an overly-somber voice. She tapped her heel on the dirt beneath her, crossing her arms over the white blouse that covered the upper half of her body. "I heard the pay's gonna be big this week. If only someone could give my nephew's a tour, then maybe they would get a little bonus."

At the mention of money (though she had no way of really spending it besides at the island's local cafe and gift shops), Ashton's face brightened, her lips curling into a sly smile. "Well, if you put it that way, you've got yourself a deal."

After all, how hard would it be showing two little kids around the island?