xiii.

t h i r t e e n

~

Another set of countless minutes passed by the trio, and the Raptors had yet to released. Ashton had begun to think that something was wrong, or that maybe Hoskins finally realized how stupid the mission actually was and it was called off. She didn't know for sure. Though despite the constant uneasiness that pricked at her insides, she was thankful that the trio were no longer sitting in an awkward silence.

Ashton's eyes felt heavy, and exhaustion tugged at her aching limbs. She didn't sleep well the night before, and she longed to be in her comfortable bed in the little beach-side bungalow. Parting her lips in a yawn, she slowly leaned over and laid her head on Zach's chest. He tensed under the sudden contact, though moments later, she felt his arm slip around her waist, pulling her closer to his body. Her head rise and fell with his chest, his heart thumping in her ear was almost calming.

Though the silence was once again broken by Gray's voice, followed by the sliding of the window above them. "Hey, Aunt Claire! Can I come sit up there with you?"

Ashton raised her head off of Zach's chest, looking at the twelve year old boy with furrowed eyebrows. "Why? Do you not like us anymore?"

Gray shrugged, a cheeky grin spreading across his face. "I just thought she'd like some company," he responded innocently, though Ashton knew that the boy had a completely different reason why he asked the question.

~

Five minutes later, and Zach and Ashton were alone in the back of the truck. After several minutes of arguing about Gray's safety and allowing him to view the gruesome videos of the hunt on the computer, Claire finally allowed Gray to sit up front with her.

Though part of Ashton was thankful that the twelve year old was no longer in the back of the truck. It gave her a chance to speak her thoughts without having to think about scaring him. Raising her head off of Zach's chest for the second time, she turned to look at him, her lips pursed.

"We're not safe," she said simply, her voice shaking with evident fear.

Zach stared at her for a moment, his eyebrows pulling together in confusion. Though he then sighed, shaking his head slowly. "No, we're not."

"He knows we're not. He's a smart kid. He just doesn't want to believe it," Ashton murmured, referring to Gray. She paused and licked her lips, averting Zach's dark brown gaze and focusing on the floor. "I never expected this."

"Expected what?" Zach questioned, his voice soft as he grabbed her hand in his. Though he had only known her for around 36 hours, he knew that when he rubbed his thumb over her hand, it comforted her. So that was what he did.

But this time, it didn't work. Though she still didn't tear her hand away from him, as she liked the feeling of her hand in his. "What's going on around us," she explained quietly, careful that Gray wouldn't be able to hear them in the front of the truck. She didn't want to scare him. "I've never expected hell to begin before I die. But hell began a long time ago- when they first began playing God."

Zach stayed silent, taking in her words as if they would give him eternal life. Ashton Grady always spoke the truth; she rarely ever said anything that wasn't a sarcastic comment, but when she did, it was something that could change one's life. It was always something inspiring- something deep. As he was taking in her words, Zach noticed that her hand wasn't shaking in his. Ever since the first time he held her hand, he hadn't felt it shake once. Not out of anger, nor out of fear.

"How do you do it?"

Ashton suddenly looked up from the floor, staring at him with furrowed eyebrows. "Do what?"