Chapter 54

Even if I tried to stop smiling, my cheeks wouldn't have let me. It was a good job smiling was just what I wanted at that particular moment in time. Never in a million years did I think I was ever going to find my biological family, especially due to the fact I didn't even know I was adopted less than a year ago!

The room was quiet when Ella read the news. I wasn't always the loudest girl in the room, but at a moment I could have been speechless, I had a lot to say. The only reason I didn't blurt all my thought our is because I was checking to see if anyone else wanted to speak before I rambled for the next year or so. It looked like Byron was going to speak up, and I was surprised when someone else opened their mouth and spoke.

"I'm glad the test was positive." Carol said, which I am side shocked more people than just me. "I know it  might not seem like it, but I really am glad. Nancy's birth parents could have been drug addicts, deceased, is just have not wanted her. I have no idea what happened between the two of you, Byron and Ella, when Nancy was born, but I can see you clearly love her. Even if the test wasn't positive, it wouldn't make me and John magically be biologically Nancy's parents. Nancy, you will always be my daughter, but I'm glad you have found your real parents."

You could see a tear roll down Carol's face, which she quickly wiped away before wrapping her arms around me. The guilt I had felt from outside the hospital earlier this week came back to me. I had to convince myself that if I never left, I would never have known Aria, Mike, Ella, or Byron. Everyone in this room was my family. This did not include my adoptive mother's pet chicken, named Madonna, that had just walked through the open door and into the living room.

"I'm going to go and make some drinks. John, you can help me." Carol stood up and dragged her husband with her into the kitchen. As hard as she tried, she couldn't be subtle to save her life.

"I'm sorry for ever doubting you, Nancy. I was just confused, clearly, and have always been a little bit stubborn." Byron saw Ella raise her eyebrow before adding to what he said. "Okay, I admit I am quite stubborn."

"I mean, I don't think anyone's happier than me about the results, but nobody seems to be questioned how I was adopted and no one knew about me." I said, part questioning.

"Actually, Nancy, we have been talking about it. It's been keeping me up at night, imagining different scenarios in my head, but I really don't know what happened yet. It breaks my heart that I missed watching you grow up into the gorgeous young woman you are." I suddenly felt bad for questioning, as it was obvious Ella was really trying to get answers, no matter how upset it made her. I hoped and hoped that I would get some sort of answers soon.