iii

Valerie just stayed up finished ahead some of her reading so she can catch her dad before he headed on work on Sunday, since he gets paid double on weekends. While waiting, she texted Jake, who does car repairs as a hobby, and has a workshop open on weekends to take a look at her car. She almost was about to sleep when he heard big footsteps from the stairs. She straightened up, bringing the folder with her.

"Hey Dad, can I talk to you for a bit?" Valerie asked hoping to be heard.

"Um, yeah sure why aren't you asleep though. Is everything alright?" He voice oozed with concern.

"So I talked to Louis, Keith's grandson?" Val reminded. Her dad just nodded listening, "So, here's the deal. I get to work part of his management team during the tour, and I get cheques which will help me pay off his money." Val spoke.

"When are you going to find time to do all this with school? Or will it be just summer?" Tom wondered.

"About that," she dragged, "he wanted me to start from the upcoming tour, which starts in four days. I was thinking of doing online school instead or just showing up for finals they post the lessons online anyway." Valerie mentioned.

"Well, what about Charlie? Who's going to take care of him?" Tom asked curiously. A little anger washed him, because of Valerie's stupidity and carelessness. Charlie cannot miss having his family around him that was just not fair.

"Louis even offered, to babysit Charlie with his sibling they go to the same school. If not, I can take Charlie with me and do homeschooling." Valerie decided.

"Reminder that only your mum died, Val. I'm still alive so stop making decisions for the whole family." Tom raised his voice. Valerie didn't even flinch because she knew it would come to this, not because of history, just because the topic had that essence to it.

"You're just as dead to us, because you're never around. Have you been to one of Charlie games, do you know what his favourite cartoon is? How about what size shoes he wears. Do you know what class he is in dad?" Valerie stated shouting back. Even though Valerie did not mean what she said, she only said it out of pure anger that takes the filter out of her mouth. In her defence, Tom had no reason to bring up her mother in a conversation like this. Tom just stood there with no answers, realizing how bad of a workaholic he was.

"Wow, nice speech Val, but I contribute to this family as well. If I didn't work where do you think the money will come from? the trees maybe? We both are just as important to this household." he retorted.

"You don't have to do that, if we didn't move we would have been just fine. What happen to the old days when life was simple." Val questioned.

"You know what Val, we're not having this conversation right now. I just want to know where you stand with that job, and I'll be leaving for work." He wanted to know her decision right away.

"I am leaving for the tour, and I will be sending money home, so you don't have to work two jobs and you can spend time with Charlie. I will continue my education with scholarships and bursaries do you don't have to worry about me" Val concluded. Tom just left the house, slamming the door, without saying a word.

Val just reached her room, glancing through the contract and signing the required places. She might have not read it completely, but the fight with her dad just proved how much she needed to get away from this place. She really need a breath of fresh air, the little town almost suffocates her personality.

She started by cleaning out her closet, and opening two big suitcases, by the end of an hour Valerie filled the suitcase with the things she needed. She left a few things out for the week, and went to wake up Charlie for school.