Seeing Is Believing

The horses pulled up at the edge of a clearing, close enough to feel the sea breezes but far enough to not know how far away they really were. When Lt. Itchy asked a question of the lead horse, all he got was; 'bad land ahead' and 'avian controlled area'. Itchy at least got the huge beast to remain at their present location, for the moment. By the horses' logic, if the squirrels weren't back in a reasonable time, they probably wouldn't be coming back.

The patrol unpacked their gear and established a base camp of sorts. Instead of the standard Army setup, they made a set of scattered lean-to's with the campfire built at a distance. The horses were left to graze in the pasture.

Lt. Fern was scooping out some boiled nutmeat when Lt. Itchy came up to the fire. "Something sure smells good.", he said jovially.

"Just what was nearby.", she responded.

He took a plate from the stack next to her as he sat down. She handed him the ladle. "I don't know what I'm smelling, but it doesn't smell like Army cooking."

"Only a couple of herb leaves and pine needles." She sat back against a small branch and began to eat.

"Well, it probably tastes as good as it smells. Either that or it's because someone else did the cooking.", he said in a friendly way.

She didn't reply as the rest of the mammals finished their jobs and came to the fire in ones and twos. They all complimented Fern on making the grub, who accepted them graciously. Nuts was last in line to get a plate, and took up a seat far across from Fern. He also neglected his manners regarding the meal. Itchy addressed Nuts in his most authoritative squeak.

"Sergeant! Don't you think the lieutenant deserves some thanks for the effort?"

Nuts was shocked at the tone, but was more embarrassed to be caught off guard. He replied meekly, "My apologies sir, Lt. Fern." He hastily came up with an excuse to cover his faux pas. "I was preoccupied with our advance tomorrow." Looking at Fern, he said lackadaisically, "It tastes real good, ma'am."

She nodded at Itchy. "That's alright lieutenant, the sergeant is correct. We should be concerned about tomorrow instead of trading cooking recipes." She smiled at Nuts.

Itchy looked at her, then back to Nuts, who had focused on the food in front of him. He sensed something was off, but couldn't quite name it. The other enlisted were equally aware of something unspoken, but ignored it as an argument between officers. The lieutenant also chose to dismiss the issue - for now.

"Well then, sergeant", he said with some recovered dignity, "what are your thoughts concerning tomorrow? I had thought we would simply attack, free any prisoners, and find out what the Avians are doing in these buildings."

Nuts couldn't believe his ears. This shavetail couldn't be that stupid. He paused in taking another mouthful of food and tried to speak calmly to his ranking squirrel.

"Sir, we can't just walk up to their fortifications and ask for the prisoners. We need to sneak in as close as possible, gather intel, then call back for reinforcements." Nuts waited for the squeal of indignation that was sure to erupt. He didn't have to wait long.

"Sergeant! Are you seriously suggesting that a probably small group of Avians would be able to stand up against a well-trained, well supplied group of mammals? And what's this 'sneaking' about? Thieves sneak. Soldiers fight. Am I right, lieutenant?" He directed the question at Fern.

Fern took her time answering. She knew Nuts was right, even as she acknowledged Itchy's authority of command. "Well, I'm not the one with combat experience", she began. "But, going in with all our mammals seems a bit...rash."

Itchy's reaction was as expected. "Rash! Rash? Is it rash to want to complete our mission quickly? Rash, to want to rescue prisoners?" He stood up and started to pace along the line of the mammals. "I've studied many battles and tactics, and our best shot is to get in fast and overwhelm them. Sergeant,",  he said perfunctorily, "I've made my decision and we'll attack from the main road just before dawn."

Nuts was about to argue the issue further, but a glance at Fern told him to keep quiet. The other members of the patrol were silent but agog. Scratcher stared with his mouth open. Roadkill was leaning back with a smirk. The others wore countenances of sullen acceptance. Itchy waited for acknowledgement from Nuts.

"As you order, sir." He saluted while speaking. Itchy returned the salute and walked off to his tent. Nuts spoke to the others. "You heard him. Check your weapons over before sleeping. We'll leave camp as it is, come the morning. Any questions?" No one was forthcoming with a question or comment. Nuts walked off to his tent. Fern got up and followed him quickly.

"You're stuck between a lieutenant and a hard place, Nuts." Fern said playfully. "Got any great ideas to save Itchy from himself?"

Nuts stopped walking and turned to her. "I can only show him the ropes so far.", he said sullenly. "Yes, there's a small chance his method will work. But if it doesn't, we'll end up like those prisoners - or worse." He rubbed his forehead with his paw. "Just need time to come up with a plan B, when it all turns to crap."

Fern touched him on the shoulder. "Whatever you come up with will work out."

He shrugged off the touch. "You're right about that. Good or bad, it will work out." Starting to walk again, he stopped abruptly. Turning around, he walked back to the fire quickly.

"Road! Vermin! With me!" He barked the order. Walking away from the others a short distance he spoke to the two privates quietly. There was a bunch of head bobbing and paw waving, but at the end of it, the two privates made their way to their tents in haste. Fern watched as Nuts came back to the fire, then turned towards her own tent.

Nuts sat down with the remaining mammals. The corporal burped loudly and scratched his stomach. "So, what was that all about, Nuts?"

"I just sent them to do a little recon work.", he replied. "It's my bit to keep the lieutenant from getting in over his head. To keep all of us from getting in over our heads. He can be mad at me later."

"He will be that.", said the burly rodent. "Unless he don't know about it."

Nuts was wary of the direction this chat was taking, but decided to play along. "Well, he'll know in the morning when I tell him."

"Don't be in such a rush to get your tail bit. The way I see it, you can be the hero with only a little extra effort.", the corporal added.

Nuts started to get an idea of what the mammal had in mind. He looked at the others to see if they were tracking. They weren't. "Okay, Basher. What's your play?"

The badger hunched over, conspiratorially. "You've got two squirrels out scouting. Why not have the rest of us set up some traps and fallback points with supplies. If we get in smooth, it'll be less to haul later. If things don't go smooth, well, better safe than sorry." He looked at Nuts for some sign. His beady eyes saw none.

The sergeant waited and weighed the plan in his head. It actually made sense, which worried him. The corporal had some sort of agenda, but Nuts couldn't guess what it would be. For now, he'd play along.

"That's pretty good. I like the way you think. Go ahead. Your plan, your team. Take Jazz and Scratcher with you, but try and get back here soon. You'll still need to rest up for the morning.", Nuts motioned to the two privates. "You two take a couple horses with supplies and stage them where the corporal thinks best."

The squirrels started to get up and follow orders. The badger got up a little slower and followed the privates. That left Cowboy and Nuts. The last private looked at the sergeant with his paws raised, as if to ask 'What about me?'

"As for us Cowboy, we're going to stay right here and be good little soldiers. Just in case the lieutenant should get up." Nuts started gathering up the dishes left behind. "Meanwhile, we've got KP duty."