Morning Mistakes

Mange awoke to the sounds of somebody outside his tent. He had gotten his meal last night and high tailed it away from the group. Listening again, he could tell it was two mammals. Mange stuck his head out of the tent and saw Vermin and Roadkill coming into the camp, trying to be quiet and failing.

"Hey, ho, Hespero!", he whispered loudly. "If you wanted to wake us all up, you could do it properly." Mange picked up a twig and threw it at Vermin, who squealed when it hit him in the side. The noise was enough to wake up the rest of the patrol.

Lieutenant Itchy stumbled out first, with Nuts and the rest following.
Itchy surveyed the scene and exclaimed, "What in flat fur is going on out here?" Looking at Vermin and Roadkill, who were wearing their field gear, inquired further. "And where are you two going in your gear?

The privates were about to report their activities, but the possum beat Nuts to explain. "Lieutenant, sir" I sent these two to do a little recon - just in case there's something ahead of us in the morning." As he said this, the first glow of dawn was breaking.

Itchy wanted to squeal the non-com out, but even he realized the benefit of what Corporal Basher had done. Nevertheless, he had to maintain some semblance of authority. "Well, you should have cleared it with me. We don't need to lose any of us too soon." The lieutenant looked at the sky and sighed. "Well, we're all up now anyway. Might as well have breakfast before we break camp." He silently motioned to Jazz and Nibbles to get working on that task, before turning back into his tent.

Nuts looked at Basher, who returned a nod as if to say 'You're Welcome'. The sergeant returned a thank-you nod and motioned everyone to join the two arrivals. "Well, let's have it. Uh, the good and the bad."

Vermin jumped at the chance to speak first. "Weasel work, Sarge! We can just stroll right up and open the gates!"

Roadkill, normally the one to get excited about easy work, was a bit more reticent. "Mostly what he said, Sarge. Hardly any guards. Couldn't see where the keep the prisoners. Lots of giant's places. Could be anywhere. It'll probably take some time to search it out."

Nuts took note of both mammals' attitude. If Road was hesitant, that was good - he was learning. Even if Vermin was over enthused, Nuts wasn't going to rule out another set of eyes. He looked at Basher, trying to read him. Basher shrugged.

"Sounds like it shouldn't be too hard, Sarge.", the badger said noncommittally. "Their scouting plus our prep work puts us in a pretty good position."

Itchy was caught off guard by the statement. "What? What prep work, Corporal? Speak up! What 'prep work' have you been doing out there." He waved his paw at the slowly arriving dawn.

Nuts interjected, "He was out there setting up some fall back positions, just in case we have to backtrack. On my orders. Sir" He waited silently for the tantrum that was coming. The sergeant was not disappointed.

"Nuts! Can't a squirrel get some sleep without you trying to run the show!" The lieutenant was warming up his anger. "I'm in charge of this mission, not you!" He started to pace in front of Nuts, who instinctively came to attention, hoping  to minimize some of the vitriol. "I told you, specifically, what our plan was, and you go behind my tail to do whatever you want! You give me one reason I shouldn't have you shot for disobeying orders!" Itchy went to grab his pebbler, only to find he had come out of his tent without it. He had to settle for waving a clenched paw in front of Nuts' face.

Lt. Fern had quietly sidled up next to the ranting Itchy. She tried to put a restraining paw on the irritated officer.  Fern took a step back as Itchy spun on her as if to strike. Itchy realized he had lost control, but had no intention of letting up. Fern put up her paws defensively before continuing to speak.

"Itchy, get ahold of yourself!  Nuts isn't the enemy!

"Hespero, he is! He's been tossing turds my way since the beginning! He spun, looking at the rest to the mammals. "And you've been helping him." Itchy's voice got a little squeakier. "A nice, simple mission. Go in, free the prisoners, capture some Avians." His voice was a little sad at making the statement.

Nuts thought about correcting the lieutenant, that the mission was to do a simple recon and get reinforcements, but he looked at Fern. She nodded that maybe Nuts should try appeasing Itchy.

"Lieutenant, I apologize for overstepping my authority." He wanted to calm the squirrel down without sounding overly sappy. "I didn't want to burden you with the small details while you were working on the bigger picture." He paused, but the senior squirrel still was tense. "In the future I'll seek your advice before doing any field work. Sir."

This seemed to placate the lieutenant somewhat, as he straightened up somewhat. He turned on Nuts with a veneer of command. Stepping closer to the noncom, he spoke directly and quietly. "Very well, Sergeant. I accept your apology - for now. But after we get done tomorrow, and we return to barracks, there'll be a little meeting about your actions. Then, we'll see who has the last say." The lieutenant spun about and began to walk off, only realizing after a moment, he was not aimed at his own tent. Stepping haltingly, he spoke to the patrol over his shoulder. "Get some grub going. We'll be moving out directly after chow."

.....

Berries could not sleep. After working the fields today, he thought he'd be able to pass out, like all the previous nights.  Still achy, it wasn't from beatings. An almost healthy ache, he thought. With that thought came another. If he was healthy enough to work for those puking birds, he was well enough to make another escape attempt.

The word got him angry. Attempt. Thinking that way was sure to have him end up like all these other poor souls. Thinking of them reminded him of Mary. He couldn't leave her behind, not after all she's done for him. But, getting himself out would be tough enough. Having her with him would be more than twice as hard. He needed help. He just didn't know who to call on.

He thought of the fox he'd befriended, Lankee. Sensing a kindred spirit, he would probably help. There were a couple others that might do; a burly woodchuck, a couple chipmunks that were half Berries' size. What they didn't have in strength, they made up for with speed. An old badger that knew more cuss phrases than anyone Berries had ever met - and used them prolifically against their captors. One insult in particular he said in Avian, which earned him a mighty beat-down.

Not much of an army, Berries thought. But he remembered the old maxim: you go to war with the army you have. He sighed, rolling over to his side. His bad eye facing up, so the shaft of moonlight wouldn't keep him awake. He'd mention the idea to the fox and together they could put some sort of plan together.