Chapter five - Penelope.

"Morning, peach." My father came into the kitchen as I ate my cereal but I ignored him, remembering last night and how it affected me. "Penelope?" Dad sat down at the table as I glared at him. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

I sighed heavily, thinking of the best way to approach the subject. "How could you just move on like mom never existed? Has she meant nothing to you? Have you suddenly forgot about her because I sure haven't."

Okay, maybe not the best way to approach it but what's done is done and I meant every word of it.

"Penelope," my father said softly, "I could never just erase your mother from my mind, you know that but sometimes, moving on is a way to get over the fact that she isn't here anymore."

"Then why are you moving on so quickly?" I demanded as I banged my fist on the table, startling him. I could really use a drink right now.

"Because that's what people do, Penelope. It's been eleven months already! Can't I just be happy?" He yelled back as I leaned in my chair with the same glare on my face as I had on before.

"You just don't want to be lonely." I got up and went to dad's beer fridge that was by the food fridge. I took a look at all the beer bottles, it was nine in the morning but, I didn't care.

"Penelope, I trust you with those there," he pulled me away and slammed the small door shut, "do you want to be sent back to the rehab unit or better yet, therapy?"

"You promised you would never bring that up!" I yelled, angrier than ever. "Look, if you want to erase mom from your life then fine but, if you're going to do that then erase me too." I said as no tears were escaping this time.

I headed upstairs to my bedroom where I slammed the door and stayed in there for the rest of the day.

*

I heard a gentle knock on my door but, I didn't answer it. It was past ten o'clock at night and sleeping was the only thing I had done today and I was okay with it. "Penelope?" My dad said in a harsh way as he hadn't calmed down yet. "I have booked you in for therapy. I don't care what you say but you are going so you don't relapse. You have no choice, it's either therapy or you go back to rehab. Up to you. You first session is on Monday, after school. Be there."

I heard him leave and I let out a cry. I hated therapy but, it was better than a rehab clinic. I assumed my father had gone to bed and I was pretty sure he went out today. I held a bottle of warm unopened beer that I took from the beer fridge. I sighed, looking at it. My mouth began to water and I had the urge to open it and take a small sip, which would soon enough lead to the entire bottle.

After my mom died, I went out of control for a little while until my father booked me in for rehab. I missed school for a while and there were whispers about me in the halls when I got back. My dad soon decided that living in Texas where everything happened was too much for me and him so he decided to move away.

I thought about the bad memories I had with a drink in my hand and I realised that I didn't want to go back to that. I got out of bed and quietly headed downstairs with the bottle in my hand and I went into the dark kitchen and located the beer fridge.

"Dammit." I cursed as there was a small padlock on the fridge. That was probably where dad went today, to keep me from relapsing. He did look out for me, I had to give him that and I was pretty sure he went out tonight to meet that mysterious women on the phone. Now, what was I going to do with this unopened bottle of beer I was trying to resist?

I headed upstairs to my bedroom and stashed it in my underwear draw where nobody would ever go, not even my dad.

*