Chapter 2

"Wow, this is dead—even for a Tuesday," Vickey, the other bartender at Tavern, says. It's eleven o'clock, and we've only had three people all night.

"I know, right?" I lean against the bar. "If you want to leave early, I'll close up. No reason we should both suffer for another three hours."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, I'm already out here and have downed two energy drinks. I'm good to go. I have all day off tomorrow, so no biggie. Plus Lizzy and her man are coming in a few."

"You are amazing. I'll make sure it's cool with Paul."

I wipe down the bar and clean the bottles. At least closing will be easy tonight.

Around eleven-thirty a pair of businessmen come in and sit down at the end of the bar. "Hey guys! What can I get ya?"

"Two Bud Lights and two shots of Patron," a tall, curly blond in a grey suit jacket and unbuttoned white shirt says. They must have had a late night at the office.

"No problem." I grab the bottle of tequila from the shelf.

"I'll have a mint mocha cookie."

I turn around at that last order. Caleb Matthews is in the same shirt and tie as earlier, but now with no jacket. A smile plays at his lips.

"Hello, Mr. Matthews."

"Hello, Miss Hannah. I didn't know you worked here too."

"I need something to keep me busy at night." I feel my cheeks burn at my audacity.

He raises an eyebrow. "Besides cooking for the staff?"

I grab a rag and pretend to wipe down the bar. "Yeah, something like that. You guys want lime wedges?"

"Actually, can we get some orange wedges and maybe a little sugar, Sugar?" The tall blond winks. Caleb shoots him a withering look.

"No problem." I slice up an orange, rim two shot glasses with sugar, and pour in the chilled Patron while trying not to think about the two sets of eyes trained on me. My blush deepens. Damn it!

"Thanks, Doll!"

"She has a name, Lucas." Caleb's sarcasm makes me giggle.

I stick my hand out. "Hi, Lucas. I'm Hannah."

Lucas lifts my hand to his mouth and kisses the top of my knuckles. "A pleasure meeting you, Hannah."

"You too." I pull my hand away to grab a cookie tin from the small under-counter cooler, then turn back to the businessmen. Opening it, I hold it out to them. "Here you go, gentlemen. Enjoy!"

Caleb's eyes light up. "I've been craving these all afternoon—and I've never even had one."

Lucas peers into the tin, sniffing. "Holy shit that smells good. What is it?" He doesn't wait for my answer before taking out a cookie.

"Mint mocha cookie. My recipe."

"You bake too?" Lucas takes a bite. "Oh my God, I may just have to marry you."

Caleb chokes on his cookie. I flash him a nervous grin.

"Hannah!"

I turn to see Lizzy coming in the door, a grinning Mason in tow. Lizzy jumps onto a bar stool and reaches across the bar to hug me. "Roomie, I need a drink!"

"You sure about that?"

She throws up her arms as if performing on stage. "A glass of white, fair barmaid."