Chapter 5

"I thought you were off." Paul stops clearing some plates away as I sit down.

"Yeah, I just need to use the phone. And maybe get a shot of Jameson."

Paul pours me a shot and hands me the phone. "Everything okay?"

I pound the shot and motion for another. "It will be."

I still can't believe Connor slapped me before. I run my fingers over the phone, debating on whether to ruin Lizzy's day. I snort out loud. Connor may have slapped me, but Lizzy would tan my hide if I didn't call her.

"Oh my gosh, Hannah, you are going to love this house! I can't wait to show you. What are you doing at the Tavern? Where's your phone?"

"At the apartment. Listen, I hate to do this, but can you guys meet me down here?"

"I can give you the address–"

"No, it's better for you to come here." I take my second shot.

"Hannah, what happened?" Her voice is suddenly serious, and I know she won't just let it go.

"Nothing. Just Connor. We got into a fight."

"We'll be right there."

I hand Paul the phone and play with the empty shot glass. Paul leans against the bar, studying me. "Fight with the boyfriend, huh?"

I nod.

Paul hands me a menu. "In case the makeup sex isn't worth it."

Yeah, that ain't happening. Connor and I are, without a doubt, over. Kaput. Finito. I don't date cheaters. Cheaters who slap me? I can't even compute that idea. And what did he say after he did it? He thought we were playing? Jesus, what kind of sick games is he into with this new girl.

"Hannah?"

Startled from my thoughts, I look up. Caleb is standing behind me. "Hey, what are you doing here?"

"Just stopped by for a drink." He points at the empty stool beside me, and I nod. He motions for Paul and orders a beer. "You want anything?"

"I'll take a beer." My head is already buzzing from the two shots. Maybe the buzz will drown out my thoughts of Connor. Especially with such nice eye candy right in front of me.

"Everything okay?"

Oh my God, was I staring? I sit up straighter and focus on the bottles behind the bar. "Sure everything's great," I say, hoping my sarcasm doesn't make me sound like I'm drunk. "If you don't count the fact that my boyfriend's cheating on me and we just had an epic fight that—well, let's just say it's over."

He winces in sympathy. "That bad, huh?"

I hiccup. "The jerk slapped me."

Caleb's face twists with disgust. "He what?"

"He was drunk and stupid."

Paul delivers our beers. Caleb and I sit in an uncomfortable silence, nursing them.

"Want to talk about it?" He plays with the label on his bottle of beer.

I prop my chin in my hand and lean against the bar. "He thought it was some weird game. That's dumb, right?"

"You're not going back there, are you?"

"Trust me, I have no intentions to. Not tonight."

"Good." He studies my face, as if making sure that I am okay. "Guys like that..."