Two

I don't move. I can hardly breath. It can't be me. It can't. Why isn't Clove volunteering?

Violetta seems surprised too. "Are there no volunteers? No? Well, I suppose you'd better come on up then."

I freeze. I'd worried about getting reaped, but I hadn't thought it would of actually happened. Out of everyone in this district, why me?

"Come on, come on, don't be shy now. Where are you?"

I have no other choice but to start walking towards the stage. Rose starts crying again. I know fine well what's going to happen now.

A peacekeeper walks up to me and takes her, and starts walking off with her in the other direction. I lose it.

"No, stop! You can't take her away! Please," I beg, running after him, but other peacekeepers grab me and start marching me back towards the stage. I can hear people gasping but I don't care. I only care about my sister, but I can't see her anymore.

"Come on, dear. Up you get," says Violetta, ushering me up the steps. "Don't cry," she whispers when she steer me into the centre of the stage. "Smile, look happy," she hisses desperately.

"Let's give a big round of applause to this years female tribute, Penelope Smith!"

Hardly anyone claps. They all look shellshocked. This has only happened a few times before, when the games first started. Maybe they're thinking about how I'll bring shame in the district. Or how it was shocking and embarrassing it was that no one volunteered.

Violetta swiftly starts to reap a boy, but I'm not listening. I feel like I'm going to faint. Or puke.

I scan the crowds to try and see my sister, but I can't find her anywhere. She's already gone.

My thoughts are interrupted by someone shouting. "I volunteer as tribute!"

There's a burst of applause as a boy practically sprints onstage and stands next to me. He's got blonde hair and piercing blue eyes, and looks about twice the size of me. He looks like he could snap my neck as easy as a toothpick.

"What's your name, young man?" asks Violetta, looking relieved that things are running more smoothly now.

"Cato Hadley," he says with a smirk. There's another round of applause.

"Well, shake hands you two," says Violetta.

I find this bizarre, shaking hands with my potential murderer, but I do as I'm told. "Ladies and gentlemen, this years tributes - Cato Hadley and Penelope Smith!"

There's another round of applause as we're ushered through the big wooden doors.

~

I'm standing in a room in the justice building, wondering if they'll ever let me see Rose again. I'm not holding my breath, but the door swings open.

There's two women standing there. I think one of them is my old school teacher, and the other I'm not sure, but she's holding Rose (who's screaming fit to bust). She looks so scared and confused. She stretches out her little starfish hands when she sees me.

"Enny!" (She hasn't quite got the hang of the 'p' just yet). I grab her off the lady, and she clings to me like a little limpet.

"Remember me, Penelope?" asks the teacher. I can't remember what her name was. I nod.

"So you're another one that's dropped out of school. You're parents?"

"They're dead."

"Oh," she says flatly, completely emotionless. She's used to this. "I see. And the little girl?"

"My baby sister."

"I thought so. And you were looking after single handedly I gather?"

I nod again.

"I take it you don't have any other relations?"

I shake my head.

"Well, this is Clara. She's from the-

"Orphanage," I finish. I knew this was coming. I'm not stupid.

"She'll be well cared for, I assure you," she says, trying to take Rose from me.

I feel like slapping her. I edge back as far as I can.

"Look, I'm sorry, but you've got no other choice, have you?"

And with that she grabs her and leaves. "I love you," I shout at the top of my lungs, before the door slams.

When they've gone my legs just give way and I collapse into a heap on the floor, sobbing. There's nothing left in me now. They've managed to take everything, every little thing that was precious to me. Soon my baby sister's going to be the only one of us left.