Fifteen

I sit up in the tree for hours. I'm too scared to come back down, though I know I'll have to eventually, to find food and water. If I make it that long. I'm scared if I come down, someone'll see me. People have already walked past my tree. It's getting darker and darker now, and I don't want to have to make my way down when it's pitch black. I know I'll fall.

I wonder where Cato is. Probably with Marvel and Glimmer. I miss him. Like, really miss him. Which is weird seeing as I've only known him a few weeks. I wonder if he misses me? I don't really think he'll come and find me, or maybe he's just waiting? He'll kill them two and come and find me when it's safer? I'm not sure.

As if in answer to my questions, I see a light flicker down below, and I hear Glimmer's annoying voice. "Did you see her face? Priceless."

They all laugh. I freeze, and try to control my breathing. If they find me, I'm dead. Just like the poor girl they're talking about. Unless Cato stops them.

I try my very best to edge as close to the trunk as possible, out of sight, whilst they laugh about the day's murders, and talk about where they can find their next victim. They're disgusting. Maybe it would be best if Cato doesn't come and find me. I still don't think I can trust him.

I dare peer down, and bizarrely, see that the boy from Twelve's with them. What on earth do they want with him? It's not like he's especially skilled or anything. And Cato made it pretty clear he hated the tributes from Twelve this year.

However, he doesn't really seem part of the group, more like a hanger-on. They must be using him for something, I just can't figure out what.

Thankfully, they don't stop, and continue to walk past. I'm about to breathe a sigh of relief, when Cato stops. The others continue walking. He looks up, and spots me. Even from way up here, I can see him smirk.

Hi, he mouths. I climb down a few branches.

Hello, I mouth back, smiling.

"Cato! What're doing back there?" yells Glimmer. I get ready to start climbing again.

"Just checking something, I'll be there in a minute. Just go on without me," he yells back.

"What are you checking? Have you found someone?"

I go numb for a second, but he doesn't say anything.

"None of your business, and no, I haven't."

Thank you, I mouth silently. I wait till I can't hear them anymore, and then climb down. Despite wondering wether I can trust him, I practically run into his arms. He holds me tightly.

"Are you okay?" he asks quietly.

"Yeah, yeah, I think. "

"You haven't bumped into anyone, have you?"

"Well, the boy from Eleven, but he couldn't climb my tree, so I was fine."

He nods. "Take this," he says, handing me his backpack. "It's got enough food and water to last a good few days, if you're sensible."

"But don't you need it?"

"Not as much as you."

"Thanks, Cato," I say, smiling at him.

"Look, you need to stay out of sight. Go back the way we came, there'll be hardly anyone that way now. Climb another tree, and stay hidden. I'll come and find you in a few days, I promise."

"A few days..." I whisper. It seems like such a long time. I don't want to be on my own.

"I know, Penny, I know. But you'll be fine."

I suddenly hear leaves rustling again. Glimmer.

"CATO, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?"

I roll my eyes. "Please kill her soon, Cato," I whisper.

He smirks. "You've changed your tune. Anyway, run, before she sees you."

"Fine. But just incase I don't see you again," I say, and kiss him.

"I love you," he whispers as we pull away.

"I love you too," I find myself saying. And I think I mean it.

"Run. Now," he tells me. I nod and sprint for it, but then I hide behind a tree, and watch them.

"Who were you talking to?" Glimmer asks.

"Myself."

I smile to myself and creep away. It's dark now, and I need to find a tree. I select one that looks tall and steady enough, and climb as high as I dare. I sit on one of the thicker branches, and open the bag Cato gave me.

I find about two liters of water, some crackers, dried fruit, a can or two of something, some chocolate, a box of matches, some sort of bungee rope, and a pack of knives. I wish I could hug Cato again. At this rate, I actually could just stay up in this tree for ages.

I'm about to allow my self a sip of water, when the sky lights up, and the Capitol music blares. I cover my ears and shut my eyes, tight. I know what's coming. They're going to show the kids who've been killed. I don't want to see.

When I'm sure it's over I open my eyes and tie myself to the branch with the rope. It takes me ages to get to sleep, there's too much on my mind, but I know I must of drifted off at some point because I suddenly wake to the sound of hissing.