00:10:00

mutual agreement

He showed up at your school two days later, his hands tucked in a snow-white blazer, the beige sweater seemingly protecting him from the cold spring. Your fingers paused its fiddling with your bike's lock, studying his stance as your body went rigid, every wall you could possibly think of suddenly rising all around you. Iwaizumi didn't seem to falter; instead, he seemed just as guarded as you were.

"Oi, do you need help?" he finally asked, his eyebrows digging deeper into his temple as he tilted his head to the side. You shook your head, your fingers returning to the stubborn lock again.

"I'm fine," you mumbled, gritting your teeth. Honestly, you just wanted a new lock, not a car. Couldn't your parents have given you at least that?

A shadow loomed over you, and suddenly his breath was next to your cheek, face so dangerously close you could see each little green speck in his emerald eyes. He turned to look at your lock, casually nodding towards it, silently asking for permission. You stepped back, letting the boy do his work; he nimbly picked at it, and it sprung free, the chain that tied your bike to the railing falling to the ground. Picking it up, you muttered a small thank you.

You pulled out your bike, turning to leave. When he didn't move, you looked back with an eyebrow. "Are you coming?"

Three minutes of silence wrapped itself between you and him, distancing the separating space. He seemed to be in deep thought, mouth pressed into that familiar thin line as his fingers moved endlessly in his pockets, squirming in what you deduced to be nervousness. You studied his face, wondering what brought him to you; was he here to convince you to marry him, despite having just started high school?

You sighed, closing your eyes. "Look, I know you want the marriage, but I—"

"We don't have to rush it."

Your voice died in your throat, and you turned to look at him. But his gaze was elsewhere, and all that was available to you was the back of his head.

"We don't have to rush it," he repeated. "I know you're not exactly. . . comfortable with my parents' wishes."

You snorted. "No offence, but they're a bit crazy."

He looked at you, this time a curious smile on his lips. "A wedding seems a bit . . . rushed, if you ask me."

You nodded. "But that's not the only thing bothering me, though. No offence, but I don't . . . I don't want you as my Soulmate."

You turned to look at him; he seemed unphased. "You were hoping for Oikawa."

"Oikawa?" Your mind flashed back to the handsome brunet who caused the coffee fiasco, and you shook your head frantically. "No! That's not what I meant. I mean, I don't want anyone to be my Soulmate."

He frowned then. "Then what would be the purpose of the Timer?"

"There shouldn't be a Timer in the first place! It's all . . . illogical."

Silence ensued the gap. "I'm scared too."

It wasn't a question, or a confession; it was reaffirmation, reassurance. You stared at him, wondering how he had read your words (at least, half of them), and nodded slowly, unsure of how to respond. "But it's not just that. I'm angry too."

"That I'm your Soulmate."

"That everyone has a Soulmate. That everything is predestined." You looked at him. "Think about it, Iwaizumi. You are a result of your parents being destined for each other. Your physical appearance, your emotional tendencies, your talents—those are all results of predetermined genes. There's no randomness in the equation, no chance; and life is supposed to be all about taking chances."

"You like fiction."

You glared. "Yes, but that's not the point. I'm serious. Besides, I barely know you. Actually, I don't know you at all."

"You're not the only one," he agreed, looking back at the road. "But that's the way things are in this world; you don't get to know your Soulmate. They just become yours."

"You make it sound like I'm your possession or something," you murmured, to which he grunted, rolling his eyes.

"That's not what I meant." He looked at you. "But having a Soulmate is how this world works, and you can't go against the system, [Surname]. It eliminates the possibility of being forever alone."

You glared again. "But it's still unfair though. You have no choice. No freedom. You're practically a slave to the rules. Having a Soulmate . . . it takes away the thrill of falling in love with a stranger."

"You're a stranger," he pointed out, and you glared.

"Yeah, a chosen stranger. I want a random stranger."

He was quiet as he stood a block away from your house, not entirely sure if he should walk you all the way or leave you at the curb. Honestly, you'd rather separate here; your mother would only gush at the sight of you two together, and it would only add tension to the already heavy air. Iwaizumi finally turned on his heel, lingering his gaze on you.

"Okay."

You blinked. "Huh?"

"Okay. I'll let you fall in love with a random stranger."

You watched as he turned to look at you once more, extending his hand as a blush slowly crept up his cheeks. Amusingly, you smiled, noticing not for the first time the stranger in front of you and how good-looking he really was.

"Iwaizumi Hajime," he introduced, nodding his head slowly. "Nice to meet you."

"[Surname] [First Name]," you greeted back in hilarity, a small smile on your lips.

He studied you with his eyes, and his cheeks turned crimson red. "Have we met before?"

And this time you did laugh, watching as the creases of his eye curve and his lips smile as you said, "No. You're a completely random stranger to me."