00:09:00

our first

One week. That was how long you had known him now. And each time you saw him, new things unveiled themselves to you, like how his favourite food was agedashi tofu, how he wanted to grow at least seven millimeters taller, how he had been friends with Oikawa Tooru since elementary school, how his birthday was June 10.

"What about you?" he asked, casually walking beside you as couples waltzed on by, not even giving the two of you a second glance. Meanwhile, the Unpaired (singles, as those utopian novels called them) sneaked glances at you and him, gushing at how perfect you were for each other, how they wished either one of you were their Soulmate, how they longed for the moment they would Encounter The One.

You pursed your lips, trying to block their sound. "Ah, I like fiction. I guess I like to read. My favourite food is [f/food], I don't have any siblings or childhood friends—at least, we're not close—and I'm also labelled as Depressed when I'm really not."

He nodded. "Okay."

"I'm serious!"

"I believe you." He smiled, and you punched his arm, and he grinned while his gaze turned to a ramen shop, which he immediately dragged you into. The two of you settled at a table, ordering the most amusing-looking dishes before returning back to your conversation, waiters and diners ignored.

"So what did you do?" he asked, bending over to drink from his cup of water, green eyes waiting for an answer.

You sighed. "I was curious. Don't judge."

He kept drinking.

"I wanted to see how the numbers on the Timer changed."

He stopped drinking.

"So I picked up a knife. To dissect myself."

He stared at you. "Are you dumb?"

"Of course not! I was twelve, how am I supposed to know it was dangerous?"

"Anyone would figure out that digging a knife in your wrist is pretty fucking dangerous, dumbass," he muttered, and you glared, throwing your napkin at him.

He dodged it accurately, smirking in victory when he saw your annoyed face. "At least you're not as dumb as Bakawa."

The irritation you held for your friend dissipated, and you leaned forward in curiosity. "What's wrong with Oikawa?"

"Sometimes I want to chuck his sorry ass to the roof. He thinks just because he has all the fucking time in the world, he can go and flirt with every single girl in the entire school."

"Has he dated anyone?" you asked excitedly; you were forbidden to date, and even if you wanted to incite a secret relationship, none of the boys who asked were open to your serious ideas. Because Soulmates restricted those actions. Serious relationships are meant only for Soulmates to share.

Iwaizumi nodded, and your thoughts disappeared, crawling back to the corners of your mind. "His girlfriend—ex, I guess—was pretty into it. Something about believing if she clung onto him enough, he'd become her Soulmate."

You smiled. That would've been nice.

"But Oikawa isn't interested in serious relationships. All he wants to focus on is volleyball."

"So he's not even interested in having a Soulmate?" Excitement bubbled inside of you; where was Oikawa now and why aren't you two friends yet?

Iwaizumi narrowed his eyes. "Don't even try."

"What?"

"You're thinking about befriending him. Don't try it, [Surname]. He's only a flirt."

"Better a flirt than someone who only wants their Soulmate."

Iwaizumi sighed. "You don't want to know how many hearts he broke."

"In a world where everyone longs for their Soulmate? I thought heartbreaks were impossible," you mocked and he threw the napkin at you, which you couldn't dodge.

"Foul!" you called, and he laughed, ignoring the noodles that had arrived at your table.

"Hajime," he interrupted once his laughter died, and you looked at him with confused eyes, trying to draw the pieces together. "Just call me Hajime."

You smiled. "Gee, rushing it already? I thought you wanted to take it slow, Lover Boy."

He threw another napkin at you, which you dodged this time, already predicting its trajectory. "Fine, stick with calling me by my last name."

"I'm kidding, Hajime!" you laughed as he playfully glared, and your merriment caused him to arch a brow at your behaviour. "Well, since we're friends at all, I guess why not. [Name]'s fine from now on, Hajime-kun."

He smiled.

"So, we were talking about where I could find Oikawa-san?"

"[Name]!"