00:08:00

pressure point

"[Name], please."

You glared at your father, whose gaze was firm and fixed. "I'm not getting married! Why can't you understand that I need time? I can't marry a complete stranger-"

"But he's not a complete stranger," he argued exasperatedly; the fight had been going on for forty minutes now, with you shooting constant rebellion and them constant refusal. "He's your Soulmate-"

"-who I've just met two weeks ago!" you protested back, sighing in anger. "I get that you want me to marry him; I really do. But I can't marry someone I've just met."

"You've known him for two weeks," your mother countered, and your blood boiled in your veins.

"You're not listening to me! I told you, I'm not marrying Hajime out of the blue, just because he's my Soulmate!"

"Hajime?"

Oh, no.

The waves that crashed against your icy shores suddenly calmly floated to sea, your mother's eyes twinkling with hope while her face held a gentle beam that signalled her utmost glee. "Oh, [Name]! You're already on first-name basis!"

"Mom!"

Your mother merely sobbed, the tears brimming her [e/c] eyes as she quickly scampered across the room to you, her arms stretched out wide "Oh, my sweet child-"

You quickly dodged her embrace, scrunching your nose as you hugged the cushion on your black sofa, wishing you could return to the confinements of your room. You wanted to call Hajime and have him knock some sense into your own parents; your throat was scratching, and you were emotionally drained from the constant bickering that went back and forth within the white walls of the small living room. If anything, you just wanted to vent to the boy; right now, he was your best friend, and the only teenager (besides Oikawa) who knew you had found your Soulmate because you definitely hadn't told your schoolmates.

Your mother straightened herself, sending you what you supposed was a sugary, kindhearted smile, but to you, it looked like a monster scheming. "Honey," she began, and you dreaded for the words that followed, because she was your mother and the words that followed her sweet smile was never actually sweet. "Maybe we should call Iwaizumi-san and ask about pushing the date forward."

Your father nodded in agreement. "I'll call him in a moment."

You tried to force the infuriated tears away, glaring at them instead. "I-I can't believe you two!"

She sighed. "Oh, honey. It's okay to feel shy about having a Soulmate. It gets easier once you admit it."

"I can't believe you! You never consider me or my feelings; you're always trying to seize control of my life and 'do what's best for me,' even though it only brings me my own unhappiness!"

Your father frowned. "[y/n], lower your voice."

"But the both of you aren't listening! You're-you're despicable! I hate you! I hate you so much!"

"[Name], stop this language right now!"

Immediately, your mouth slammed shut. You squeezed your eyes closed, waiting for the sting on your cheek to arrive. Seconds passed and there was nothing, and slowly, you allowed the light to enter your pupils once more.

Your father stood a few feet away from you, the wrinkles on his face making him look far older than he actually was. His shoulders sagged, revealing the drained energy he had within him. Eyes shifted towards your mother, who stood frozen by the fire. Her [e/c] were rippling with sadness, her hands quivering. You looked at your fists, which you unknowingly clenched, gulping when you saw them tainted with blood the shape of moon crescents.

She was the first to move, quickly rushing to the first aid kid and grabbing the alcohol, and you were crying, all the frustration and anger you held towards you, your parents, and the world rushing out in heavy waterfalls. Your shoulders were shaking when she dabbed your wounds with antiseptic, carefully massaging the strain out of your fingers.

"You should cut your nails, sweetie," you heard her say softly. "Hurting yourself like that-it could really hurt you, you know."

"I'm sorry," you mumbled, and the room was silent except for the sound of your low sobs, your father's heavy breathing, and your mother's quiet hum as she cleaned the small cuts on the palm of your hand. "I'm sorry, Papa, Mama. I'm sorry."

Your father sighed after a few moments, sinking into the velvet chair behind him. "Alright. We'll negotiate with them about the wedding, ask them to push it back a couple months-a year, even."

You sighed in relief. "Thank you."

"But you have to show us you'll make an effort to try and give this relationship a go."

You pursed your lips. "Hajime's already my friend. I'm trying."

"Their parents would want to seem some sort of greater commitment," your father reasoned. "You befriending Hajime is good enough for us because we know you, but Iwaizumi-san and his wife might see otherwise."

[e/c] met [e/c]. "What. . . kind of commitment?"

"How about you move in with Hajime?" your mother suggested, her voice much steadier now, the high, excited pitch dissolved into thin air.

You swallowed. Better than a wedding. "Okay. I can do. . . moving in."