Chapter III

The spring festival took place on the twenty-first day of the third month of the year forty-three, of the reign of Aikoke. Kieko did not care for such festivals; men drank to be drunk, children stuffed their faces with sweets and berries, and women gossiped their talk. But, there was one event he did care for, the Teshi-do tournament held to honor the masculine spirit of the young men of Ikishi.

It was in the summer festival of last year when both Kieko and Aiko competed in the tournament for the first time. They were the youngest two boys of the sixteen that competed. Although Kieko did display some promise in the combative art he was thrown out of the tournament ring in the first round. Aiko, on the other hand, surprisingly defeated all of his opponents and won the title of Teshi-do Ko-Tenso. In the weeks that followed Aiko, Niko, and Taka, along with a few other Ikishi children, taunted Kieko about his embarrassing defeat. Kieko then promised himself, I will make Aiko eat his words–I will face him and beat him in the autumn tournament. He began training every night beneath his Thinking Tree. The autumn festival arrived and he advanced to the second round, but he was defeated again. Aiko ultimately won the tournament, and soon after he launched a new wave of ridicule against Kieko. Kieko trained more; and when the winter tournament came he fought and advanced to the final round finally proving his strength and valor to all, but Aiko–the reigning Ko-Tenso–defeated him with a brutal punch to the nose.

Women, young and old, disliked the tournament–especially mothers–for they could not bear to see their young men–their sons, cousins, brothers, or young lovers–viciously bruised and cut. At times, there was a broken bone, which was mended by Shinsei's hands.

Regardless of the danger, Kieko loved the sport. He did not mind the hard punches and kicks for it was the means he thought necessary to toughen the skin; he often looked at his bruises imagining battle scars. And as he thought of the tournament he cracked a smile for today, before all, he would face Aiko and bring him down to his knees.

Madonai noticed the smirk on her son's face as he drank his afternoon soup. She knew exactly what he was thinking, "You are not entering the tournament."

"Yes, I am!" he said in defiance.

"No–you are not! I am your mother and that is the end of it."

"I'm not a baby. I'm a man. Do you not see the hair that grows on my face?"

"Yes, it looks hideous."

"Good! Better that than pretty like a girl!"

"Am I disturbing?" Shinsei, plainly dressed, asked kneeling at the low entrance of the hut. He was holding his staff and placed a wrapped item by his foot.

Kieko calmed himself, as did his mother, and replied, "No, Shinsei. You are not disturbing us. You are always welcome here."

"Good," Shinsei said with a warm smile as he entered into the dark of the hut. "I have come to say hello to you, Madonai. It is not often that I see you. Is all well?"

"Yes, Shinsei, all is well. It is good to see you too."

"Good, good. And you, young Kieko, how are you today?"

"I'm fine, Shinsei," he said as he stood to then bow his head in respect. "I was just telling my mother of my decision to participate again in the tournament."

Madonai glared, "You are not partaking in that." She turned to the priest and said, "Shinsei, please explain to my son that he cannot fight today."

"I am afraid, Madonai, that I am in no position to make decisions for your son."

Upset with Shinsei's response she retorted, "Thank you so much, Shinsei."

"Madonai, your son will be fine."