Chapter VI

Kieko was waiting outside the Council Hut; he was thinking about his mother who was at home under the care of Ruka, Kira, and Jomana. He looked at the armed men who were guarding the only entrance into the hut and cursed the laws of Kadek that forbade all women and boys from ever entering the hut. He kicked the ground and looked up at the hut's thatched roof that shot up in a sharp arc from its oblong circular base and saw the red flag at its peak; a sign that a meeting had been called. He took a step back to stand next to the ash filled cauldron that sat before two rows of fire staves, which lit a short path to the hut's entrance.

Old farmer Toasu walked into the circular plain of the Ikishi village and saw Kieko. He approached him, and when he stood beside him he inhaled the strong scent of the incense sticks that burned within the cauldron.

"It's not fair that I cannot enter. It is my mother who's the victim of this crime."

The old farmer looked at Kieko, "There are too many things in this world that are not fair: it is not fair that my parents died when they did; it is not fair that you lost the tournament; it is not fair that the Atlanteans pillage whatever lands they point their wicked fingers at. But, in all my long years, from all that I have seen in this world, I have discovered one thing." Kieko waited for the answer. "Justice is served to each and every one of us, in this life or the next. What we reap is what we sow. This you know, Kieko. There are no victims in this world. We choose what ails and benefits us."

"I don't believe in reincarnation and karma and all of that."

"We both know that that is a lie. I know what beliefs you hold dear to your heart. And even if that were true then how or why would you want to train with Shinsei? You cannot be a Ki disciple if you reject these truths. Regardless, things are as they are whether you believe in them or not. And you speak with little knowledge or experience of the world. There will come a day when you will understand things because you have seen them with your own eyes, felt them with your own heart."

"That is all I hear from you and Shinsei." He then mimicked Shinsei's voice, " 'You will know when you experience, you will know when you experience, you will know when you experience.' Do not tell me such things."

"You are a stupid little boy! You will respect the Ki priest." Kieko shook his head and kicked the ground again. "I've had enough of your words, boy. I'm going in to speak with men," he then walked toward the Council Hut through the path set by the fire staves.

Kieko continued kicking the ground and whispered, "Stupid old fool."

The old farmer stopped before the guards, turned around, and said, "I heard that. I may be old but I have ears to rival yours. And yes, I am a fool," he then disappeared into the dark of the hut.

Rakima was speaking to his brothers and cousins within the Council Hut as he drank his tea; they were arguing over who would serve as a proper suitor for his daughter. Although he did not enjoy the topic he engaged in it because it was expected of him, and as he listened he heard Aiko's name and the arguments for the wealth and prestige that would be gained from Kono in return for his daughter's hand. Angered by their matchmaking talks he excused himself, noticed the old farmer entering the hut, and went to greet him.

"Strange to see you here, old man."

"Yes, it is strange. I find it odd too that I am here." The two laughed. "Although I am old, as you have been so kind to remind me, I am not wise but a fool, and because I am a fool I am wise to know that you have chosen to speak to me because you do not wish to continue your talks with your kin over there. Am I right, old father of a beautiful daughter?"