Chapter V

Word of the crime committed against Madonai spread throughout the village. Women and men talked their foul gossip and speculated on what had really happened that spring festival night. It was agreed by many that Madonai had put a spell on Buko and seduced him into her wicked net like a witch, or that she had sought to poison him like the black widow spider of their tales and fables.

Ruka did not pay any attention to the ridiculousness of the stories that floated through the air. When she had first heard the news she, shocked, rushed to Madonai's hut with Kira to begin caring for her. And when they had returned home they found Rakima sitting by the hearth warming up his tea as he smoked a bitter weed from his pipe.

"We have returned, sweety," Ruka greeted her husband. "I will begin cooking your meal. I'm sorry that I didn't have a chance to get started on it earlier. We were with Madonai caring for her."

"Yes, this I know."

Kira stood behind her mother; she did not want to look at or speak to her father.

"I know what you had said," Ruka continued, "but you must understand that Madonai needs us ... as does Kieko."

"Yes, I know."

"And I needed Kira's help so I brought her with me, but only for today–only for today, sweety. I will care for Madonai and Kira will stay here to cook your meals–"

"No." He took a puff from his pipe, exhaled the scented smoke, and looked at his daughter with hardened eyes. "You will do no such thing."

"What do you mean 'no'?" Kira shouted ready to fight her father's words.

"Do not talk to me in such a way, girl!" he barked silencing her. "I gave you life, and I can as easily take it from you. You pay your respects to me as long as you live under my roof," he said pointing up.

"Rakima," Ruka pleaded.

"I am not finished. Let me speak woman ..." he took another puff from his pipe and thought for a moment. "Kira, my daughter," he began, "I know that you do not understand why I say what I do and why I forbid you from doing what you desire to do. I don't expect you to understand me. I did not understand my father, or my mother. Regardless of that you should know that I say what I say because I know the realities of this Ikishi world. I am trying to protect you." Ruka held her daughter as her husband spoke. "But, I cannot keep you under my wing forever, and that ... saddens me. You are becoming a woman, and I fear that. I am uncomfortable with it. I do not like speaking to my brothers of suitors and such. I do not enjoy it. You are my child and your mother has raised you wonderfully." A warm feeling flourished in Ruka's heart. "And I am grateful to her." Ruka smiled. "Kieko is a good boy. If I could have things my way I would keep him away from you, not because he is mixed in blood, but because I can see that he will hurt you. He is not right for you. He has too much anger–too much. You think that you will be able to help him, change him, but I am telling you that he will not change. Not for many years. I can see it. I was much like him when I was young. Much like him I was.

"But I realize that I cannot cage you. I will not keep you from seeing him. My brothers will not agree with me but they are my problem, not yours. But know this. Kieko can never be a suitor for you. That simply cannot be."

"Why!" Kira cried. "Why, can he n-not be?"

"Because I will not bless such a union and neither will any of your uncles. And that is the end of it. Do you understand?"

Kira fell to her knees with her hands over her tearful eyes. Ruka continued holding her trying to comfort her.

"I will not keep you from seeing Kieko. Under these circumstances Madonai and Kieko need you both."

Ruka nodded. She was grateful that her husband would support her and her daughter's care of Madonai.

"Now, I must leave. There are some things that I must discuss with our kin." He walked out without drinking a single sip of his tea.