Chapter 28: Two Truths and a Lie

New Year's Eve, after I had dropped off Rob at my parents' house, and come back and dressed in a pale pink, tight, jersey dress with long sleeves, a ballet neckline, and a mini skirt, I closed my front door, and tottered over to Jake's in my silver, strappy heels. As I raised my hand to knock, he opened the door, wearing a light-gray long sleeve, button down shirt, and dark gray slacks. He smelled divine.

"Ready?" I asked.

"No," he answered, looking me up and down, and I laughed. "You look absolutely gorgeous. I don't wanna leave."

"C'mon," I said, tossing my hair back, "we're going out and meeting my friends."

Truth be told, I wasn't totally feeling it. Still sick from before, I felt tired, but I wanted to go out. I figured I'd just take it easy, and drink more water than margaritas.

We took a taxi downtown, not wanting to deal with parking, and walked to State Street, a popular area packed with shops, restaurants, bars, and public spaces. When we arrived at the restaurant where we were meeting Sara and Georgie and their dates, I did a double-take.

There was my attorney, Amelia, sitting next to a stunningly handsome, but mellow, blond guy who looked like he was out of a Billabong ad. At their table was a pretty, but edgy girl with long, lavender hair, who seemed totally excited, and a drop dead gorgeous cowboy, who looked dangerous in a black cowboy hat.

Jake did a chin lift at Amelia, and walked over, holding my hand. The restaurant was a decent-size, and while there was music playing, the place had not filled up yet. You could have a conversation without getting hoarse.

"Lucy!" chirped Amelia, getting out of her seat, and showing off a curvy figure in a classic, wrap-around, little black dress. "Come meet my friends. This is Ryan Fielding, my boyfriend," indicating the surfer, "Marie Diaz-Austin, my best friend since third grade, and her boyfriend, Will Thrash," indicating the chocolate-eyed cowboy.

Wait. My attorney was dating Ryan Fielding? As in the famous bazillionaire? Holy shit. And it was immediately apparent that Marie was a firecracker. And the country boy, Will? Wow. He was strikingly good-looking.

As I shook hands with each of them in turn, they all stood up, and towered over me. Sheesh, I was always the shortest in the room. Just then, Georgie, Sara, and their dates, Anthony and Jordan, walked in, and there were more introductions. Georgie got a good look at all of the beautiful men, and then pulled me aside.

"Team. Fucking. Switzerland," she breathed, gawking, shifting her attention from Ryan to Will to Jake.

"It's kind of unbelievable," I whispered back. "I mean, the way these three guys look, plus the ones you two brought are fine, too. This is going to be a fun night."

"Okay, we'll make room," squealed Marie, and before anyone could protest, she shimmied her body, clad in a dark gray, metallic tunic minidress and stilettos, around all of us, and started pulling over chairs to gather everyone at one large table, calling over a waitress to order drinks. We all helped to set up, while I caught Will checking out Marie's ass as she leaned over to pull the table toward her. The waitress brought our drinks. Then Marie sat down, and continued, "We all don't know each other very well—"

"—we just met half of them—," interjected Amelia.

"—so I think we should play a game," Marie finished.

Amelia groaned. "No body shots this time."

"No. We have a few hours to go until midnight. We're going to play 'Two Truths and a Lie.'"

"Marie. They. Just. Met. You," Amelia argued.

"And now we'll really get to know each other. If someone figures out your lie, you have to drink." Sara looked worried. Georgie looked like she thought this was hilarious. And the two guys with them didn't know what to think. "And we all have to play," Marie finished. "I'll go first."