Chapter 2

[ETHAN]

I woke up to the sound of knocking. I groaned turning over, using my pillow to block out the sound. I'd barely sleep last night. I'd been awake most of the time wondering if I should go over to Andrew's room to ask what was wrong.

"Wake up, you have to follow me to the supermarket, so we can pick what you like to eat. I'd like us to also check out the university," I heard Andrew say from the other end followed by barking.

"I'm coming!" I said sitting up on my bed. There was no response but the knocking died down, as well as the barking. I sighed in relief, getting out of bed even if it felt like I was still half asleep.

I walked into the bathroom to wash my face, catching a glimpse of myself in the bathroom mirror. I looked unbelievably tired and worn out from the lack of sleep last night. My mind drifted off to Andrew, wondering how in the world he managed to cry through the night and still have the energy to walk about in the morning.

He's probably used to it. A voice said in my head. I frowned. I didn't want to believe last night was a frequent occurrence. I cleaned my teeth before heading out to the living room. Andrew was sitting on the sofa, his left ankle being tenderly licked by his dog. I frowned, wondering what exactly was wrong with the thing.

"You're here! Let's head out," Andrew said catching a glimpse of me.

"Go where?" I asked watching him get up slowly, his dog whining and still fussing over the ankle.

"Downtown to get supplies, didn't I tell you?" Andrew asked, walking over to the front door.

"You did, it's just..." I trailed, wondering if he'd already had his.

"It's just what?" he asked, looking at me with clear confusion. I sighed, scratching the back of my neck.

"We — I haven't had breakfast," I said, looking at his skinny figure by the door.

"Oh, sorry. I didn't remember," he said as he fumbled with his hands, looking down at the floor like a child caught in the act. I raised a concerned brow at him. Did he forget to eat?

"It's no problem we can grab a burger on the way, can't we? I haven't taken a shower I'll take a quick one and meet up with you in a while," I said while he just nodded.

I got out of my room in a pair of clean blue jeans and a gray t-shirt. I found Andrew in the sitting room looking around nervously like he was expecting something bad to happen.

"I'm ready," I said, catching his attention. He looked up, muttering a small 'oh'.

We left the house and headed for the car, and this time I made it to the front seat before the dog. She growled, making me gently shove her away with my foot. She whined running to the other side towards Andrew.

"Just let her stay in front please?" Andrew asked looking down at the dog that was whining at his feet. I frowned closing the door behind me. I can't believe he actually suggested that.

"No," I said firmly, looking away from him. He sighed and before I knew it a snout was poking my arm. I turned to find the dog sitting on his lap as he closed the door. He ignored my stare and started the engine.

"We'll get caught, this isn't safe." I tried to reason as he pulled into the street.

"She won't agree to be anywhere else. Besides, she knows not to touch the gear," he said as we began to drive down the hill. I gave him a puzzled look before turning away. We came in view of the town soon after. It was small, sparsely occupied, and as tucked away as his house.