Chapter 15

[ANDREW]

"I'm hungry," Devein said as she walked into me and Ethan drinking tea on the dining table. She was dressed in one of my oversized shirts. Her eyes looked tired as if she'd been crying throughout the night.

"What would you like?" I asked, taking a sip from the small teacup in my hands.

"Do you have bread?" she asked, scratching the back of her ear. Her hair was clean for a change, but it was still a mess as it tangled and knotted awkwardly around her face.

"Yes, come sit," I said, tapping the chair beside me. She gave me an odd look before accepting the offer. As she pulled out the chair to seat I got up to get breakfast ready for her.

I soon came out with a tray of bread and scrambled eggs. I smiled fondly at the sight of Ethan helping her to prepare a cup of tea.

"Here," I said, setting the tray in front of her before taking my seat.

"Thanks," she muttered, tearing a piece of bread from a slice.

"I got your dress washed last night so you'd have something to follow me in the station in," I mentioned as I proceeded to make another cup of tea for myself.

She didn't answer me, just nodded slowly at the comment. The rest of the breakfast went on in silence. Ethan asked Devein a question from time to time in an attempt to brighten up the mood.

"Thanks," she muttered, pushing her tray forward in an indication that she was done.

"Take the tray to the sink at least. What am I saying? Get it washed," I said, narrowing my eyes at her. "Take a shower too, we're leaving afterward."

She gave me a look. It gave me a mixed message like she was irritated and frustrated at the same time. She eventually picked up the tray and headed to the kitchen.

"I wouldn't want to be your kid..." Ethan trailed, watching as Devein slammed the kitchen door after her.

"And that's why I probably won't have any," I said with a shrug as I put a piece of toast in my mouth.

I was ready in the next hour and a half. Devein was already waiting out in the seating room in her dress and worn-out shoes.

"Let's go," I said, checking my pant pockets of I indeed had the car keys with me.

She got up, startling Roxanne that was lying beneath her feet.

"I'm just getting up, silly," she told the dog before squatting to give Roxanne an affectionate pat on the head.

I smiled at the scene, glad the Roxanne had stopped being tense from the stranger's presence.

Devein got up before heading for the door.

"Wait," I said, noticing her hair was a mess. She stopped in her tracks before turning to give me a look of confusion. I gave her hair another look before sighing.

"Go fetch a comb from Ethan," I said. She nodded before heading to my room. She soon came back with a big hair comb in hand.

"Has anyone ever taught you how to tame your hair?" I asked, taking the comb from her. She gave me a guilty look before running her hand through her tangled blonde hair.

"I couldn't fix it, and I don't know how to braid it," she admitted as her cheeks gained a pink tint.

I shook my head, getting behind her. "I guess I'll just do it myself."

I combed her hair back before doing it up in a French braid the way I saw Ethan do to his hair sometimes. I smiled, realizing I'd learned how to braid from my young niece. She should be seven now, and the nickname I got from her hasn't changed yet. It was still 'teddy' even if I didn't have a bear tummy anymore.