The Emperor's Edge 2: Ch 5

The files were a mess. While the city lot records were somewhat orderly and searchable, whoever had come up with the system for cataloguing rural properties ought to be publicly castrated. Rather than using a grid system, the lots were delineated by their proximity to landmarks: some by nearest town, some by ancient battle sites, some by prominent terrain features, and one by the fact that an appraiser’s uncle had fallen off a cliff and died on the property.

Despite the disorder, Books found himself enjoying the challenge of the research. Here, amongst books, ledgers, parchments, and dusty shelves, he felt at home. He dug a fistful of pencils from his satchel and lost track of time as he scribbled notes. A part of him wanted to devise a new system entirely, but he doubted the front-desk clerk would appreciate it.

Whistling pierced his concentration, and he scowled, recognizing the tune—a bawdy ditty about an army officer’s sister—and the whistler.

Maldynado ambled out of a narrow book-stuffed aisle, plopped a brown bag on the desk, and straddled a seat.

Books curled his lip and moved the bag to an out-of-the-way corner. It left a greasy splotch on a centuries-old parchment. He sighed and bent lower over the paper he was studying. Maybe ignoring Maldynado would encourage him to go away.

Maldynado dug a handful of walnuts out of his grocery bag, cracked one open with his teeth, and proceeded to nosh loudly. “Find anything luminous yet, Booksie?”

Books bent his head lower, deepening his can’t-you-see-that-I’m-ignoring-you pose. “No.”

“Want a walnut?”

“No.”

“We can’t eat too many. Basilard is going to use them to prepare a fancy breakfast for Amaranthe’s birthday tomorrow.”

“Her birthday isn’t until next week.”

“She’ll expect something then, but not tomorrow. It’ll be a surprise.”

Books snorted. Maldynado had not even known Amaranthe’s birthday was coming until Books said something.

“Isn’t it Sicarius’s turn to cook tomorrow?” Books asked.

“Oh, no, we are not going to let that happen for a birthday breakfast. And preferably not ever. I can still taste that llama lung and bone marrow surprise he made. The surprise being if it took you more than five minutes to vomit after eating it.”

“I’m sure it was very healthy.” Though Books would not show it, he shuddered inwardly at the memory of the dish too.

“Healthy maybe, edible no. And don’t pretend you didn’t avoid it. All you ate were those raw unflavored parsnips.” Maldynado lifted a hand. “Anyway, we need something good tomorrow. After we serve up a fine breakfast for Amaranthe, it’ll be time to let her know about the date I lined up for her.”

Books lifted his head for the first time. “Date? What date?”

“A man I know. He’s smart and witty, and his father owns The Gazette. Good warrior-caste family. Cute fellow too. If I were a woman, and I couldn’t have me, I’d want him.”

Books rubbed his forehead. “When did she say she wanted you to find her a date?”

“She didn’t.” Maldynado tipped his chair back, balancing it on the rear legs. “She’s too focused. But we know what’s best for her.”

“You and...Basilard?” Books cringed. Why did he have a feeling Amaranthe would not appreciate this meddling? “Did you warn her you were going to... What exactly are you going to do?”